lizhubbard

Installation failure of TMG 7.04 under Win 7 x64

Hi,

My XP machine died suddenly, but fortunately I have recent backups of most everything, including a record of my TMG license number, and a .sqz file to restore once I get the software up and running.

I've downloaded the 7.04 setup file and run it, but it hangs up at the end, with a little window saying something like "updating configuration files. please wait" So I wait, and wait, and wait some more. And it never goes away, and TMG won't start ("Error installation. Please reinstall program"). So I tried to re-install over top of the first installation, but it won't accept that without first un-installing, and that process in turn won't run because it can't find the uninstall.log.

So, I deleted the entire folder in the programs (x86) folder, and started from the beginning.

Same problem, loooooong wait (30 minutes or more...) at the "system configuration...please wait" point. This is a brand new Win 7 x64 machine, with lots of memory and things usually install very quickly, so I'm not sure what's going on there. Eventually the machine went to sleep and so did I. Same issue this morning, not installed correctly, can't uninstall.

Any suggestions please?

Secondly, in the hope that the above is eventually solved, can I do the following without causing problems?

1. Restore from a .sqz file (about 2 weeks old)

2. Close TMG

3. Replace specific files in the project folder with newer versions from my online backup service. It has current copies of all files from the night before the XP death, but not a .sqz.

Thanks,

--Liz Hubbard

I don't know the inner workings of TMG good enough to answer the second question, but the first question: TMG 7 shouldn't be problematic on W7 x74 (I'm running it on the same OS). The error you encounter, is it an error form TMG or from Windows? I know Windows often says it failed to install an application when, in reality, it did install successfully.