Michael Vance Baker

Report Options - Secondary Output

Is there a method where as I can may create different reports and have the Secondary Output section data be saved too.

Specifically, I have several different reports that I run to update flags before I publish data. I would like TMG Report Options to remember my Secodary Output selection for each report. As it now, I must edit the Change Flag option each time a run a different report.

All the Options, including the Secondary Output settings, are part of the saved Report Definition. You can save any number of different definitions for each type of report - just click the Add button at the top of the Report Definition screen, and give your saved version a name that makes sense to you.

Then, when you want to run that particular report again, open the type of report (List of People, in think, in this case) and choose the saved version from the drop-down list at the top of the Report Definition screen.

If you use it often, you can set a button on the Custom Toolbar to run that report.

That is what I am trying to do. But each time I save the new report definition, it overwrites the Second Output check box Change Flag.

Thanks for the tip on Custom Tool Bar. As of today, I run about 6 querries before I publish. One for folks of whom I have added an obituary tag, and one for folks who have tags for some of the military campaigns that I have created.

Each time I run the report I have to manually change the Flag change check box drop down to ensure the correct flag gets changed.

You just need to be really careful with this one. Each "version" of the List of People that you run will need to have its Configuration saved with a unique name. You will probably also need to save a filter within each version of the list of people again with it's own unique name.

I run a lot of sequential List of People reports to update flags. I find using the Book Manager to run them makes sure that I get them all in the right sequence.

That is what I am trying to do. But each time I save the new report definition, it overwrites the Second Output check box Change Flag.

How are you saving them? Using the Save Settings or Create Report buttons at the bottom of the screen should do what you say. Have you used the Add button at the top of the screen as I described?

OK, I still can't get this to work. I am using ver7.04. Today I created a new report of a

1. I have selected Filtered Group and [Added] a new report. I named the report "test1" I set the flag function of secondary output to trigger my flag called AmerRev to Y. I clicked on Save Settings. I then started a new report
    1. , Filtered Group, named it "test2", clicked on options, set the flag output to CivWar to Y, clicked on Save Settings. I then went back to reports, list of people, then dropped down to test1, selected options, selected Tab Secondary Output and the Change Flag value is that of what I had selected for test2.

As of yet, I have not tried the {Add} button at the top

Sorry folks,, after rereading Terry's answer, to use the Add button at the top to create a new new report. In the past, whenever I selected Add at the top, drop down of configuration *.rpt files appeared. I am,,,,, was leary about changing any Configuration_files so I always used the middle Add button, since the config name at the top read List of People,,,,, AND that's what I was working on tweaking,,,,, List's of People, I then used the middle drop down to select which Filtered Group I wanted to report or update. Again, please accept my apology.

Michael

Michael,

Perhaps this is not as intuitive as it might be. Report Definitions are saved as files on your computer, with the extension "rpt". So, when you are saving a custom definition, you are saving a file, and thus the File Save dialog you saw. This is what appears when you use the Add button under "Configuration." You can recall a previously saved configuration by use of the drop-down list, which is really just finding the file you saved before.

The Add button in the middle of the screen, under "Filtered Group," is for adding a new named filter. Filters are also saved as files, although in this case it's not so apparent to the user.

When you save a Report Definition that uses a filtered group, the Report Definition includes the name of the filter, but not the Filter itself. Instead, when you recall and use that Report Definition the named Filter is also recalled and used. Thus, when saving a Report Definition that uses a Filtered Group, it is best to also save a companion named Filter. If you don't, you are liable to accidentally change the Filter when you use it in another report, and it then won't work properly when you use the saved Report Definition again.

Likewise, when you are saving several Report Definitions, as I think you said you were, if the Filters are different, you need to save each different Filter under it's own name so it will be available to the report that needs it.

Hope this makes it a bit more clear.