Michael Dietz

Number of children

Is there a way to capture the number of children value in the Other Info Box? What I would like is a generated Number of Children tag.

I know there is a Num Child tag available but it requires manual entry of the value.

Thank you

Mike

No.

From my perspective, the only value of the Num Child tag is when you have evidence that a couple had n number of children but you have only been able to identify and record fewer children. The Num Child value would differ from the number of children listed.

No.

From my perspective, the only value of the Num Child tag is when you have evidence that a couple had n number of children but you have only been able to identify and record fewer children. The Num Child value would differ from the number of children listed.

Your statement is absolutely true from a research angle. My reason was one strictly of convenience. I have asked numerous siblings and cousins what they would like in a report on their ancestors. The vast majority have five things, BMDB and the number of children. I can provide the number of children manually but with approximately 400 couples to visit I was hoping I could be lazy and just have it automatically generated for me.

Thank you anyway.

Mike

The nice thing about TMG is that it is a tool to be used to record and output what is useful to the user. I have a different use for the NumChild tag which is very valuable for my purposes. For side branches that are far from my main line I will often enter a NumChild tag with the parents as Principals whose sentence simply counts and lists the given names of the children, along with citing any source(s) I have found for these children. This tag is then a place holder for sources about children that others may wish to pursue, but I choose not to actually enter these children in my dataset to intentionally "prune" my tree at that point.

But to answer your direct question, Mike, I know of no way to get an automatic count. There have been "wishes" for a sentence variable that would give the count of all children linked to this Principal, but that is still on the wish list.

The nice thing about TMG is that it is a tool to be used to record and output what is useful to the user. I have a different use for the NumChild tag which is very valuable for my purposes. For side branches that are far from my main line I will often enter a NumChild tag with the parents as Principals whose sentence simply counts and lists the given names of the children, along with citing any source(s) I have found for these children. This tag is then a place holder for sources about children that others may wish to pursue, but I choose not to actually enter these children in my dataset to intentionally "prune" my tree at that point.

But to answer your direct question, Mike, I know of no way to get an automatic count. There have been "wishes" for a sentence variable that would give the count of all children linked to this Principal, but that is still on the wish list.

Thank you Michael. I too use the Num Child tag to list individuals where no data is available, such as the Living markers in Ancestry.com. Those cousins in the generations following mine can run them down as they are closer to them in age as well as societal norms than me.

Michael (also)