DonHargreaves

Problem reinstalling TMG 7

Hi,

After a computer crash and restart using the manufacturers recovery disc, my TMG 7 failed to start with error message that "MSVCR71.dll file not found, reinstalling may fix problem".

However trying to reinstall produced message that TMG was already installed. TMG does not show under "control panel/programs and features" so I cant uninstall and retry but does show under "computer/ Vista © /program files"

I am reluctant to download the missing file from the Web in case I recieve a virus as well.

Are there any other options?

Regards

Referring back to my original post, i now find the gedcom backup I put on a memory stick is empty!!

Looking in Computer>Vista ©>program files, I can see The Master Genealogist (1.26MB) created 15/10/2008, The Master Genealogist (199MB) created 09/04/2009 and TMG Utility (4.89MB) created 30/12/2008.

The first has one folder called BACKUP containing for folders, twowith extension .ocx and two with extension .dll ( one of which is the missing one from my original question).

The TMG Utility has three folders and 130 files

The second The Master Genealogist has 15 file folders, 4 applications, 4 application extensions and 55 other files called CDX, CNT, DBF, DIS, FPT, FPW, HTML, UPD, WCM, XLS, Paintbrush and TextDocs.

Is there any way to retrieve my data from these files before I move the original missing .dll file?

Your project files are not stored in the program files location. If you are using Vista, the default location of your project files is

C:\Users\username\Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\Projects

where 'username' is replaced with your user name.

To make a backup, copy that Projects folder to your thumb drive. Note that each project contains over 80 files; if you have multiple projects in the same folder, there will be many more files.

How do you know your gedcom file is empty?

You may want to contact tech support for help in getting TMG up and running again.

Virginia