Dave Rose

Interest Flag

Hi, I've been using TMG very happily for some time now and am feeling quite competent with sentence structures and using accents, and therefore feel rather dumb when I realised that I don't understand the flags "Ancestor Interest" and "Descendant Interest". What are they for? What does the range "0=very low" to "3=high" mean?

cheers

David

Hi David,

They are there for you to use "however you wish". :D There is no fixed or required purpose. Some people use them to identify which of their ancestor or descendant lines they have more interest in, and want to do more research. They also often set accents on such flags to make it clearer which of the siblings or children is the line of interest. You might also look at Terry's Tips about creating a "related-by" flag posted here.

Hope this gives you ideas,

David,

My understanding is that this flag was created to support a proposal in the genealogical community for a method to share information about surnames of interest called "tiny tafel." I don't know the details, but perhaps someone who does will share. Apparently the plan never caught on, but the flags were left in TMG because some users had found them useful for other purposes.

Hi David,

I've been using the ancestor interest to collect a very special group of people. Direct ancestors (ancestor interest = 3) which I know you can determine is other ways. To this group I add siblings (including step- and half-) (ancestor interest = 2). And finally to this is added any step-parents of direct ancestors (ancestor interest = 1). This is how I easily gather the families that live together (and who are of most interest to me) to study the events of their lives. Hope this helps.

Linda

The restriction on their use is that since it is a standard Flag, you can't change the allowable values. So if you need more, or different, values, you are better off creating a custom Flag, and disabling the standard one so it doesn't appear in the Flag Window.