JanisR

TMG on iMAC - broken in upgrade to Windows 7

Hi, Glenn! Thanks again for your help setting up TMG on my iMAC. I have broken it, slightly, by upgrading my Vista OS to Windows 7. I am sure it is just a setting in Paralells or reinstalling the text file but the mapped X drive we created so I could place my pictures on the iMAC "side" is not seen by TMG anymore. I upgraded last weekend and haven't had a chance to figure it out. Hopefully this long weekend I'll locate the setting.

Jan Rodriguez

Janis

The drive letter mapping may have changed, how drive letters get mapped depends on Parallels sharing settings. Check the following in Virtual Machine > Configuration > Sharing > Share Folders - perhaps the setting has been changed.

I normally have my Share Folders set to All disks, and folders are mapped as follows

Host on 'psf' (Z:)

Home on 'psf' (Y:)

Pictures on 'psf; (X:)

If I change the Share Folders to Home folder only the drive letters change like this:

Home on 'psf' (Z:)

Pictures on 'psf' (Y:)

Note Host is gone and Home has been assigned Z: Pictures is then assigned Y:

You can make the change while the virtual machine is running, but it won't change the drive letters it has already assigned, you'll have to shut down and restart the vm.

Glenn, All my psf files have disappeared on the Windows 7 side! (and I am not being "comic").

Configuration Settings under Parallels are:

Shared Folders

Pictures /Users/ivakota/Pictures

ivakota /Users/ivakota

Shared Profiles - enable shared profile with all checked underneath

My Genealogy folder is under the Pictures folder. It was mapped as X

I was doing backups to Z as psf drive

Now neither X nor Z drive even show up on the Win 7 side...

Edited by JanisR

Janis

Do you know if Parallels Tools is installed? I think they need to be installed to map drives, share apps, clipboard, system clock etc.

They can be reinstalled from the Virtual Machine menu, the vm has to be running, so you'll need to be in a view mode where you can access the Parallels menu. After the Parallels tools are installed you have to restart the vm, the install will prompt you or do a restart after a short count down.

PS - Please let me know if that works

Edited by ggilbert1

I'm running out of ideas, how about the Network setting. Virtual Machine > Configuration > Hardware > Network - check that it's connected, also Type, mine is set to Shared Network.

Also wondering how you upgraded to 7? I went from XP to 7 and I deleted the XP virtual machine and did a clean install of 7.

Looking at some of the support info for Parallels, have not found anything specifically about Vista to 7, but did find XP to Vista, and there was a menu item prepare Windows Vista upgrade, I don't see this in any of my vm menus, but I've got 7 installed.

Edited by ggilbert1

Glenn,

Finally got back my mapped drives! It was necessary to uninstall the Paralells Tools right down to the regedit entries. When I reinstalled, it mapped the drives. Everything is back where it belongs. It was first necessary to make sure to change the OS from Windows Vista to Windows 7 on the General page of the Configure window. Checking the SmartMount appears to be what maps the drives and that option didn't show until the reinstall after the clean up.

The two links that helped were:

KB Parallels: "Windows cannot access \\.psf " error message at the attempt to reach Shared Folders

http://kb.parallels.com/en/6885

and

KB Parallels: Cannot install Parallels Tools

http://kb.parallels.com/en/8969

Thanks again for your help!

Janis

Thanks for the update, glad to hear you've got the mapped drives back. :cool: Wasn't aware there was a drop down list of Windows Operating systems in the configuration, but now I do.

Edited by ggilbert1