KarinI

Trouble with accents using Parallels

Phil advised me to ask Michael Hannah for his expert help using Parallels on an iMac. I just switched to the Mac using Parallels with Win 7 (32 bit). Tried the (64 bit) but it wouldn't let me "Sync" with my Palm so I could use my GedStar Pro. Phil thinks I may not have everything set up correctly with Parallels????

Every time I go into TMG my 8 accent colors that I have set using 8 different flags keep disappearing or just 2, 3 or 4 will show correctly. I reset them; then save them and overwrite the filename I use; apply them; and go back to the person screen. Everything stays correct until I logout and the next time I come back into TMG the colors of my names are different. Any idea of what I am doing wrong?? Help!

Thank you for any assistance.

KarinI

I'm not Michael - I have a question, are your TMG projects located in the Windows file system?

Please review the article I prepared on running TMG in a Parallels Virtual Machine

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index...ost&p=51722

I don't use accents, in some limited testing in the sample project I cannot replicate the issue, I'll have to do some additional testing in a project with more flags, but I won't be able to do that until tomorrow.

I'm not Michael - I have a question, are your TMG projects located in the Windows file system?

Please review the article I prepared on running TMG in a Parallels Virtual Machine

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index...ost&p=51722

I don't use accents, in some limited testing in the sample project I cannot replicate the issue, I'll have to do some additional testing in a project with more flags, but I won't be able to do that until tomorrow.

Hi Glen. Thank you for answering me. I am a complete novice when it comes to using the Mac and Parallels so I am not not sure how to answer your question. When I am in the Mac side I can call up Documents and find a folder called the The Master Genealogist v7. Opening it I find the various folders and when opening PROJECTS I can see all the files associated with my project. I can do the same thing on the Win 7 side. However, it shows it under LIBRARIES, Documents.

I printed out your article on running TMG in a Parallels Virtual Machine and I know I didn't know anything about creating any special files and I'm not even sure at this point if I have a Windows Notepad or where it is. Nothing seems familiar in Win 7 as I was use to XP.

Which way is best to run the Virtual Machine - in Windows mode or Coherence? Does it make any difference?

Thank you for any help.

KarinI

Hi Karin

Still have not had a chance to do any testing with accents.

I think we need to determine where your TMG user folder is located before we work on the accent problem.

First I will answer some of your other the questions.

On viewing mode - it really doesn't make any difference, it's whatever you are most comfortable with and how you work. In Coherence you see the Mac desktop, in Windows view, your Win7 VM is in a Mac window, you can also run the virtual machine in Full Screen mode and it will look like you are on a PC.

To find Notepad in Windows 7 -- Windows Start Menu > All Programs > Accessories > Notepad or simply start typing notepad in the Search programs and files text box just to the left of the Shut down button.

We need to determine where your TMG Project folder is... First we should check the Mac Documents folder. Using Finder open your Documents folder and look for a folder named The Master Genealogist v7

If you don't find the folder in the Mac Documents folder check your Windows My Documents folder. On the Windows Start Menu > Computer > Local Disk (C:) > Users > [username] > My Documents

You could actually have The Master Genealogist v7 folders in BOTH the Mac Documents folder and the Windows My Documents folder, it would depend on the state of sharing settings in the Virtual Machine Configuration when you started the vm and ran TMG.

Switching from WinXP to Mac - Parallels & Windows 7 is quite a lot to take in :lookaround: :lookaround: at once.

Hi Karin

Still have not had a chance to do any testing with accents.

I think we need to determine where your TMG user folder is located before we work on the accent problem.

First I will answer some of your other the questions.

On viewing mode - it really doesn't make any difference, it's whatever you are most comfortable with and how you work. In Coherence you see the Mac desktop, in Windows view, your Win7 VM is in a Mac window, you can also run the virtual machine in Full Screen mode and it will look like you are on a PC.

To find Notepad in Windows 7 -- Windows Start Menu > All Programs > Accessories > Notepad or simply start typing notepad in the Search programs and files text box just to the left of the Shut down button.

We need to determine where your TMG Project folder is... First we should check the Mac Documents folder. Using Finder open your Documents folder and look for a folder named The Master Genealogist v7

If you don't find the folder in the Mac Documents folder check your Windows My Documents folder. On the Windows Start Menu > Computer > Local Disk (C:) > Users > [username] > My Documents

You could actually have The Master Genealogist v7 folders in BOTH the Mac Documents folder and the Windows My Documents folder, it would depend on the state of sharing settings in the Virtual Machine Configuration when you started the vm and ran TMG.

Switching from WinXP to Mac - Parallels & Windows 7 is quite a lot to take in :lookaround: :lookaround: at once.

Hi Karin,

I am Michael Hannah :D but I think Phil really meant for you to ask Glenn Gilbert. Glenn has already replied to your post, and he regularly provides the most helpful advice on using Parallels with a Mac. I don't have either a Mac or Parallels so can't help.

Thanks for answering me, Michael. Yes, I am working with Glenn to figure this all out. I posted an answer to him yesterday, but I don't see it so it must have gotten lost in cyberspace.

Thanks,

Karin

:thumbsup2: Update: Accents issue was resolved when the TMG user data folders were located to the Windows file system. Edited by ggilbert1