Sign in to follow this  
Daryl Edmonds

Want remove comma from reports

When I enter place names in my data I have usually put a dash (-) in front of Australia so that the word isn’t printed in reports as, in the case of Western Australia or South Australia, I feel it looks untidy with the unnecessary repetition as in Western Australia, Australia. However, when I print a report the sentence finishes with a comma and full stop (Perth, Western Australia,.).

Is there some way I can stop the comma being printed in such sentences?

I'm using TMG 7

Edited by daryl edmonds

When I enter place names in my data I have usually put a dash (-) in front of Australia so that the word isn’t printed in reports as, in the case of Western Australia or South Australia, I feel it looks untidy with the unnecessary repetition as in Western Australia, Australia. However, when I print a report the sentence finishes with a comma and full stop (Perth, Western Australia,.).

Is there some way I can stop the comma being printed in such sentences?

I'm using TMG 7

Most of the report options screens have a "places" tab where you can select which place levels print in the report.

HTH

Robert

Most of the report options screens have a "places" tab where you can select which place levels print in the report.

HTH

Robert

Yes, I know, Robert, but they all seem to have a trailing comma in most reports, even when they're not needed, as in the following case.

I have recorded a death and the last place field [L] is South Australia and I the put the cause of death as a memo. But the report reads ". . . Adelaide, South Australia, The cause of death was . . . . ". I wish I could put a full stop after South Australia. I know I could probably restructure the sentence (and often do) but I would like to be able to just type in data without having to review and edit a lot memos.

I have recorded a death and the last place field [L] is South Australia and I the put the cause of death as a memo. But the report reads ". . . Adelaide, South Australia, The cause of death was . . . . ". I wish I could put a full stop after South Australia.

You can - put the period in the Sentence:  ...[L].

Daryl,

If the sentence and Place style are defined correctly, you shouldn't see a comma followed by a period at the end of the sentence. Are you using a custom place style? Can you give us an example sentence where the problem occurs?

Daryl,

If the sentence and Place style are defined correctly, you shouldn't see a comma followed by a period at the end of the sentence. Are you using a custom place style? Can you give us an example sentence where the problem occurs?

Thanks, John & Terry. As you suggested, the errors were self-inflicted where I'd put either a comma or full stop as <[L],> in the sentence structure.