Sign in to follow this  
JimG

Unique Endnotes

The unique endnotes feature is only partially working in TMG v6.12. Of about 175 endnotes, some are being repeated and somewhat out of order as far as full endnote or abbreviated endnote. It seems like when I use an endnote for more than one tag type, it wants to repeat the endnote. Many times the abbreviated form endnote comes ahead of the full endnote in the report. I want a source (about 175) to be listed only once and one number used for each. Is there a solution to this problem someone can tell me about?

Hi Jim,

You don't give enough information for us fellow users to help. The questions I can think of are:

• What report are you generating?
  • Where are you sending/viewing the report, the screen or some type of file?
  • Did you clear/delete any existing Endnote report before generating the report?
  • Are you sure you have Unique Endnotes selected as an option? What are all your Report Options on the Sources tab?
  • Are you sure that the sources that seem to be the same are not really different sources in the Master Source List?

Your comment about "the abbreviated form endnote comes ahead of the full endnote" is really confusing since when Unique Endnotes is selected there is never an abbreviated form.

I would like to try to help, but need more information.

Hi Jim,

You don't give enough information for us fellow users to help. The questions I can think of are:

• What report are you generating?
  • Where are you sending/viewing the report, the screen or some type of file?
  • Did you clear/delete any existing Endnote report before generating the report?
  • Are you sure you have Unique Endnotes selected as an option? What are all your Report Options on the Sources tab?
  • Are you sure that the sources that seem to be the same are not really different sources in the Master Source List?

Your comment about "the abbreviated form endnote comes ahead of the full endnote" is really confusing since when Unique Endnotes is selected there is never an abbreviated form.

I would like to try to help, but need more information.

Michael, thank you for your reply.

Report: family group sheet, to file, Word doc file (Windows 2000 or later), 11 pages, 130 endnotes listed.

Report: generated to file.

Endnotes: no need to delete/clear; not saved since report sent to file, they are generated as the report is produced and deleted each time.

Under options, sources tab, I checked both Endnotes and unique.

Several sources are definitely being repeated and the output form is putting out both the full and short footnote in the same report. Several endnotes appeared longer than others because of citation details, so short follows full. I used the same source for a number of tags. For example, a census record helped establish a birthdate, occupation and residence.

Of the 130 endnotes, 109 are uniques sources.

The 21 duplications are all in short form.

Two endnotes were duplicated three times, one full and two short.

The report includes the following non default items under report options: tags; all, all events, include parents, spouse include if missing and include parents, children-include their spouses, inlaws and children, miscellaneous; birth order of children and sources; endnotes, unique, include name sources, include relationship sources.

Jim

Jim...thank you for the suggestion.

I thought endnotes were not linked with the superscripts in the Word document, so they are not true endnotes. That is why I didn't bother to try anything in Word. Sounds like a neat macro you suggested.

At least 12 of my sources are used for two or more tags. A few of these have CD associated with the tags. One or both of these situations are triggering the multiple source listings.

When I unchecked "include name sources" under the report options, some of the additional duplicates went away. The 12 or so I mentioned above remained. It seems like the same problem as above, using a source for two or more tags.

I checked "suppress citation details" in report options sources. This got rid of all of the duplicates of sources in the endnotes. Apparently when a source is used for two different tags and one of the tags has a CD associated with the source, that is enough to cause a global change in the report to show all sources for each tag, even if this results in duplicated endnotes for those tags having no CD's at all. The second time the source is used, the short output form is used for the source listing in the endnotes.

I thought endnotes were not linked with the superscripts in the Word document, so they are not true endnotes. That is why I didn't bother to try anything in Word. Sounds like a neat macro you suggested.

Both endnotes and 'unique' endnotes are linked by superscripts in the Word document.

Endnotes have hidden codes. When you edit the document, and changes in the presence or position of the endnotes are updated.

'Unique' endnotes are just text and are not updated when you edit the document.

It's always better to use the true endnotes rather than the 'unique' endnotes. The text macro is a way to use true endnotes and to consolidate them.

If your citations have detail or not, they will differ whether you use true or 'unique' endnotes. Normally, you wouldn't want to suppress the citation detail in your endnotes.

An alternative to unselecting name citations is to unselect relationship citations instead. Either method should reduce the number of citations.

Jim Byram...thank you for the explanation and advice.

I followed your advice and everything is working great. Using the "unique" endnote check box was not a good idea. It is so much easier to follow the endnotes when all of the endnote citations in the family group sheet are in sequence and they are all linked with code in Word. I opened up a can of worms so-to-speak when I checked the "unique" option under report options sources. This approach generates more pages than the unique approach, but I just won't print out the document until I am ready for the "master" document for binding. I may not print it even then as the printing company just needs an electronic file.

I'm good, no further follow-up needed. Thanks again.

Edited by JimG