Michael Dietz

Full footnote and short footnote (Household)

I just noticed the following in a custom Source Type:

I have the beginning phrase of the Full Footnote and the beginning phrase of the Short Footnote to be identical, i.e., [HOUSEHOLD] household, (obviously these are from custom census source types). However when I print or display the actual source statements with the value of Household = Crockett, Samuel T I get the following:

The Full Footnote begins with Samuel T Crockett Household

but the Short Footnote begins with Crockett Household

Is this a preset function of the Household element to only list the Surname in the Short Footnote? If so is there any way to force the full name in the Short Footnote?

Thank you

Mike

Mike,

All "name" elements in any source automatically give the names in the following fashion if you enter the name "correctly," that is in the format Surname, Given Name:

Full footnote: Given Name Surname

Short footnote: Surname

Bibliography: Surname, Given Name

This is in compliance with most reference guides.

If you want something different than that, you need to arrange for the output you want.

The easiest solution, and the one I use for Census, is to enter the name in "normal" order: Given name Surname. The downside is that the bibliography will also list it that way. You may not care, especially for a census.

Some other solutions are discussed in my article on Given Names in Short Footnotes.

As Terry said, "All 'name' elements in any source automatically give the names in the following fashion..." These "name" elements are any source element that is defined as in any of the following five source element groups: Author, Compiler, Editor, Subject, Second Person.

As Terry noted, if you do not have a "comma" in these element's entry, then TMG treats the entire entry as the surname, and nothing changes for the three types of source outputs (Full Footnote, Short Footnote, Bibliography). Another alternative is to construct your custom source templates to use a source element that is in one of the non-name groups so that TMG does not assume it is a name and perform this standard reference changing of names for you.

Hope this gives you ideas,

Mike,

If you use that method and also use Second Site, be sure to set short footnotes to surname only in that program. Otherwise you will get the given name twice.