In the Variable (Name Tags) section in the Help files, it says "[P] . . . . . . . (always produces He/She)".

When I use [P] I get the full name all the time. Most tags after the initial use of the full name I have used [PF] to make the output a bit more readable, but it gets a bit tiresome reading John did this, John did that, John did something else. I would much prefer the use of a pronoun (he/she) in most of those occasions. I realise I can change the sentence to something like "[D] he was living [L] <[M]>" but the way I read the Help files, I shouldn't need to. Or am I missing something? Where and under what conditions are the pronouns produced?

Daryl,

Not sure where you got that sentence from Help or what your problem sentence is. It sound like your problem may be because your sentence has another variable, probably [D], before the variable for [P].

The below is from the Help page titled: Variables (Event Tags)

Principals

[P] Current Principal, Full name. The first time the variable appears in a paragraph,

the full name will be used. During second and subsequent appearances, if the name

variable appears before any other variable in a sentence, a pronoun (he/she) will

be substituted for the name. You can force the use of the full name by using [P+].

A plus after any name variable cause that form of the name to be printed in full

rather than allowing a pronoun to be substituted, e.g., [W+], [PG+]. They may

also be used with role name variables, e.g., [R+:Rolename].

So, AFTER the first sentence, if the [P] variable appears BEFORE any other variable, THEN a pronoun will be used. For example:

[P] lived <[L]> <in [D]>

[P] lived <[L]> <in [D]>

He lived in Dighton, Bristol County, Massachusetts in 1850.

Whereas the following sentence will always give you the full name:

On [D], [P] lived in [L]

On June 3, 1850, Alvah Chace lived in Dighton, Bristol County, Massachusetts.

If this is not the problem, please post your sentence.

Janis Parkison Rodriguez

P.S. Another variable will force a he or she: The [RP:%] variable, with the % being the rolename. The variable is not available with the [P], [PO], [P1], or [P2] variables... You can use Principal for the role here.

<On [D]> [RP:Principal] lived in [L]

On June 3, 1850, he lived in Dighton, Bristol County, Massachusetts.

Daryl,

Not sure where you got that sentence from Help or what your problem sentence is. It sound like your problem may be because your sentence has another variable, probably [D], before the variable for [P].

The below is from the Help page titled: Variables (Event Tags)

Principals

[P] Current Principal, Full name. The first time the variable appears in a paragraph,

the full name will be used. During second and subsequent appearances, if the name

variable appears before any other variable in a sentence, a pronoun (he/she) will

be substituted for the name. You can force the use of the full name by using [P+].

A plus after any name variable cause that form of the name to be printed in full

rather than allowing a pronoun to be substituted, e.g., [W+], [PG+]. They may

also be used with role name variables, e.g., [R+:Rolename].

So, AFTER the first sentence, if the [P] variable appears BEFORE any other variable, THEN a pronoun will be used. For example:

[P] lived <[L]> <in [D]>

[P] lived <[L]> <in [D]>

He lived in Dighton, Bristol County, Massachusetts in 1850.

Whereas the following sentence will always give you the full name:

On [D], [P] lived in [L]

On June 3, 1850, Alvah Chace lived in Dighton, Bristol County, Massachusetts.

If this is not the problem, please post your sentence.

Janis Parkison Rodriguez

P.S. Another variable will force a he or she: The [RP:%] variable, with the % being the rolename. The variable is not available with the [P], [PO], [P1], or [P2] variables... You can use Principal for the role here.

<On [D]> [RP:Principal] lived in [L]

On June 3, 1850, he lived in Dighton, Bristol County, Massachusetts.

Janis,

Thank you for your reply. It would be the [D] at the beginning of the sentence that would be the culprit. Thanks for setting me straight. I like the idea of the sentence in your PS regarding the [RP:%] variable; I'll use that quite often, I'm sure, as I often like to have the date at the beginning of a sentence, particularly if I have an exact date.

The sentence I included in my query was from Help>Variables>(Name Tags)

You are looking at the wrong help topic since you are primarily discussing event tag sentences.

You want: Sentence Construction / Variables (Event Tags)

You are looking at the wrong help topic since you are primarily discussing event tag sentences.

You want: Sentence Construction / Variables (Event Tags)

Thanks, Jim, I realise now I was looking in the wrong section. Unfortunately the mind isn't as nimble as it used to be