Daryl Edmonds

Unsupported source sentence

I realise the answer to this query can many and varied but I am wondering what the experienced TMG users use as a source sentence for the events that don't have a date. The main events I'm concerned with would be the date of birth when I have the christening date but no birth date & the death date when I have the burial date but no death date. I've been using "Author's estimation, relying on all relevent available data", but that looks a bit ambiguous to me. What do others use?

I hadn't been entering the birth events if I didn't have a date, as christenings occassionally can be quite some time after the birth. eg. I have one example of a father being christened at the same time as his first child! Death dates can usually be "guestimated" to be usually within a few days before the burial (and often the following day) unless there's been a coronial inquest or an autopsy required. However, without a birth event being entered, parents aren't named in TMG reports or SS. I've now started entering the birth, with just a sort date, which overcomes the report issue, but I'm having trouble getting my head around a suitable sentence to use in the source output.

Hi Daryl,

If I don't have a source, I don't attach one. However, I will modify the narrative sentence to say something like:

George Smith is presumed to have been born c 1845 probably in Ohio for him to be in his twenties when he son Albert was born. I always try to record my reasoning in a split memo which produces this narrative. Actually I have an alternate custom tag called "BirthAssume" that has this sentence, but you could set the sentence on the standard Birth tag with a custom role instead.

Just my way of doing this.

Hi Daryl,

If I don't have a source, I don't attach one. However, I will modify the narrative sentence to say something like:

George Smith is presumed to have been born c 1845 probably in Ohio for him to be in his twenties when he son Albert was born. I always try to record my reasoning in a split memo which produces this narrative. Actually I have an alternate custom tag called "BirthAssume" that has this sentence, but you could set the sentence on the standard Birth tag with a custom role instead.

Just my way of doing this.

Thanks, Michael, I guess I'm doing something similar, although I don't include what my reasoning behind "all avilable relevant details" might be, at this stage; that might be something to aim for in the future!

You're welcome, Daryl, glad it gives you ideas. I record my reasoning because as I get older I forget why I chose a date or location, and I don't want to strain these old grey cells figuring it out all over again! :rolleyes:

However, without a birth event being entered, parents aren't named in TMG reports or SS.

In SS, the presence or absence of parents is unrelated to the existence of a birth event unless all of the following are true: you are (A) using the Narrative Format and (B) not using the "Add Parent Sentence" option and (C) adding parents to the birth sentence output via witness roles or the [PAR] variable. If A, B, and C are true for you, I'd recommend you do it another way.

You can use the Narration Format rather than the Narrative Format; the Narration Format is similar to the Narrative Format but it includes a "parent section" that shows parent names, etc., and supports the option to show non-primary parents as well as primary parents.

If you want to stick with the Narrative Format, you can turn on the Format.Add Parent Sentence option. It will add a sentence to the narrative that identifies the subject's parents.