beetle3247

Intent to Marry Tag Type

Back in Feb, 2009, there was a topic asked about what would be the source type for an Intent, but no one answered the question. I now have come across new records on Ancestry pertaining to Maine marriages from 1705-1922, and one of the lines on the form is "Intention Filed" (i.e. Intention: June 9, Date Married: June 22). I cannot find a specific source type within TMG that would handle this. Or is this the license date? Does anybody have a suggestion?

Depending upon the nature (and formality) of the "intent" source, I would generally treat this either as an engagement, or as a license that was obtained but (possibly) never used. Others users may have other suggestions.

The "source" of the "Intent" was the county marriage records in Maine (1705-1922). The on-line records document (viewed on Ancestry) is titled "Copy of an old Record of Marriage". They have obviously been copied to these forms, which were then photographed, from county record books. On the form is a line "Intention Filed" and then several lines below is a line "Date of Marriage". Most of the time I do not find a date on the "Intent" line, but sometimes it shows up. Obviously this was a formal item recorded in the county, but in today's terms I do not know if it is a license, the engagement (why would that be "Filed"), or something else. In today's traditional wedding vows there is an intent to marry near the beginning of the service to ask whether or not the couple has come "freely and without reservation" to be married; it is not a "filed" document. I am just attempting to understand what this "filing" represented so that I can either use the correct tag type or create one of my own.