Sign in to follow this  
TMGKev

Tag's and Source types

I'm confused and am hoping someone can help me understand source types in relation to the Tag's displayed and available on the "create new Tag" dialog list.

I imported my old project (created with the non-UK v5 and using Mills/Lackey source types) into my new v7 UK edition. All was well.

On opening the master tag list and source types list, I could not see the UK source types. I therefore imported a set of UK source types from a new "blank" project created using custom source types. This went well and I can now see the new UK source types in the Source Type list.

However, when I try and create a new tag, I cannot see the new imported source types in the tag list. I've tried reading through the help file for source types etc, but admit to being rather confused by how they work.

Is it possible for me to access the UK source types that I can see in the source type list?

Many thanks for any help.

Kevin

You don't import a v5 project. You restore it.

When you restore a project, it is only going to have the source types in the Data Set(s) that were already there as you found.

Tag types and source types are completely different.

Tools / Master Tag Type List shows the available tag types.

Tools / Source Types shows the available source types.

Source types are templates for creating sources. When you open Tools / Master Source List and add a new source, you select a source type as the template for that source.

You need to work on understanding the fundamentals and terminology and make use of Help.

Kevin,

It is difficult to understand you question because you are confusing Tags and Sources.

Tags deal with Names, Relationships, and Events. When you add a Name or event to a person, you choose a Tag Type.

Sources record the source of information you enter into Tags. When you define a new Source - a book, census record, birth certificate, etc., you choose the best-matching Source Type to describe it.

I think I understand your issue as dealing only with Sources, not with Tags. And I think the problem is you restored and old Project that used the "Mills" Source Types, and want to be able to now use the UK Source Types as well.

I think you then correctly addressed this by creating a blank Project with your UK version of TMG, and imported it into the same Project as you old data. If that is the case, the problem is that you still have two separate Data Sets in that Project. One contains the old data, with the "Mills" Source Types, and the second is empty, and contains the UK Source Types. What you need to do to make the UK Source Types available in the Data Set with your data is to merge the two Data Sets.

I suggest you read my article on Merging Projects and Data Sets before you do because there are some pitfalls. You need to set A and B such that the empty Data Set "remains unchanged," and then after you verify that it all worked, delete the empty Data Set that will remain. This will be more clear as you read the article and then begin the process. Make sure you have a backup before you begin, as it is possible to mess up your Project.

You don't import a v5 project. You restore it.

When you restore a project, it is only going to have the source types in the Data Set(s) that were already there as you found.

Tag types and source types are completely different.

Tools / Master Tag Type List shows the available tag types.

Tools / Source Types shows the available source types.

Source types are templates for creating sources. When you open Tools / Master Source List and add a new source, you select a source type as the template for that source.

You need to work on understanding the fundamentals and terminology and make use of Help.

Thanks Jim. I do understand the difference between sources and tags, but you are correct in that I was clearly confusing the two when I wrote my question. My only defence is that it was late at night here in the UK which may be the reason! I'll certainly do more reading up though to improve my understanding.

I think I understand your issue as dealing only with Sources, not with Tags. And I think the problem is you restored and old Project that used the "Mills" Source Types, and want to be able to now use the UK Source Types as well.

I think you then correctly addressed this by creating a blank Project with your UK version of TMG, and imported it into the same Project as you old data. If that is the case, the problem is that you still have two separate Data Sets in that Project. One contains the old data, with the "Mills" Source Types, and the second is empty, and contains the UK Source Types. What you need to do to make the UK Source Types available in the Data Set with your data is to merge the two Data Sets.

I suggest you read my article on Merging Projects and Data Sets before you do because there are some pitfalls. You need to set A and B such that the empty Data Set "remains unchanged," and then after you verify that it all worked, delete the empty Data Set that will remain. This will be more clear as you read the article and then begin the process. Make sure you have a backup before you begin, as it is possible to mess up your Project.

Thanks Terry,

I was clearly confusing sources and tags in my question (it was very late last night when I was working on my project, which clearly didn't help!).

To hopefully clarify the method I used to add the UK source types to my v5 project -

I created a new blank project and selected and exported a set of source types that I wanted in my main project. I then opened my main project and imported the source set I had exported from the blank project. These now appear in the source type list in my main project. I did not import a blank project so, if I understand things correctly, I still only have one data set, not two. I will double check this to be certain. If you think I've resolved my need to add UK sources incorrectly, please don't hesitate to correct me.

I will also read up on your articles to improve my understanding further.

Many thanks.

Kevin

Understand that sources and source types are different. You can export/import source types. You can export/import sources.

You did the correct thing by exporting the UK source types from the data set in a new empty project and importing them into the data set in your working project if your objective was to add the UK source types to your project.