tim655321

All-in-one / everyone chart

Hi all,

I am new to genealogy, and recently started on TMG v 7 Gold. I am a big fan of the box charts. I want to created a box chart of everyone in the database. Is there a way to do this? I've read other posts here at the forum, and noticed that this topic has not been revisited for awhile.

I have looked at other programs and add-ons which allow you to create "all-in-one" or "everyone" charts. I have found some that come close, but nothing that will literally place EVERYONE in the database on a single chart.

What is the best way to go about this?

Thank you.

Tim,

This is a request made from time to time, and some programs have a chart that is supposed to do that. While this is possible with a small database, in general it just doesn't work. The sheer size of a chart with several thousand people can make it unfeasible. But long before reaching that point many users find multiple intermarriages that cause contorted linages that just don't work on two-dimensional paper.

TMG's Visual Chartform does allow you to link together multiple charts. So it is possible to create two or more separate charts, and copy and paste them all together into a single chart if the constellation of people you what to include make that feasible. To do that you enlarge the "canvas" for one of the charts, then copy the contents of the other chart(s) to that one, removing duplicate people and connecting the lines as needed.

I tried using Family Tree Maker 2010, and imported my TMG file. The all-in-one chart in Family Tree Maker 2010 does almost everything I want. The chart includes everyone, but it only connects a line from one parent to the child; I want a line from both parents to connect to each child.

What are my options to make this happen? Can anyone recommend some other applications/add-ons to try?

Thank you.

xAncVLB_4.jpgxDescWhipple935_.jpg

What works for me is a combination of ancestor and descendant one-page (letter or A4 size) charts. They are quick and easy to make and update, fit in a loose-leaf binder, and are convenient for sharing along with Family Group Sheets. I start out with a basic overview Ancestor chart with name and ID and then make more detailed smaller ancestor and descendant charts. The examples above include a simple ancestor chart with notations added for Grandmother, Great Grandfather, etc., and a more complicated and crowded descendant chart with boxes delineating the families.

There are many examples of one-page charts (and their report settings) on the forum - see the pinned message at the top of the VCF page. Also check out the Pedigree booklet (see the link in the pinned message).

Please ask if you have any questions. VCF is very flexible. You can post-edit charts to add notations or manually color boxes, but for most charts, once you set and save the report options, including colors, that chart is ready to use again with different people or projects.

Virginia