Sign in to follow this  
lizhubbard

detaching and re-attaching exhibits

In my early days of using TMG I added a lot of exhibits, both internal and external, directly to the person. Eventually I began to add them to specific event tags or sources, which is the way I prefer it now.

I would like to detach them from the individual and re-attach them to the appropriate event tag.

Is there a way to do that from the exhibit log? Or another, hopefully easy, way to do it? I would prefer not to delete exhibits from the log, then search for them again -- too prone to losing track, or even losing the exhibit altogether.

Thanks for any ideas,

--Liz Hubbard

Hi Liz,

I can't think of any way other than to detach/attach. However, having two copies of TMG open at the same time might help this process. You could view a person's Exhibit Log in one copy, select the image desired, click on Properties, and view the Info tab which shows the file location. In the other copy you edit the Event, add an Exhibit, and find that file location for that image. Now update the appropriate text for that new Exhibit in its Properties/Topic and Description. Just don't detach until you are sure you have attached it everywhere you want it.

That is straight forward for External Exhibits with their disk filenames. But this even (sort of) works for Internal exhibits. If you open the Exhibit Log for a person, and View/Edit an Internal image, TMG creates a temporary copy of the Internal image as a file in a "Temp" folder on your disk. The Properties/Info will now identify the location of that temporary file. You can then use that file to Add that image as an Internal exhibit to your Event in the other copy. Just be sure not to try to Add an existing Internal Exhibit as an External Exhibit using that temporary file because the temporary file will be deleted when you exit TMG.

Hope this gives you ideas. Other users may have better suggestions.