Don Landing

error message ? missing cue card db

When using v7 and attempting to save a modified Standard Layout, I get a dialog box that is trying to open a database. When I cancel it I got the error message "No table is open in the current work area. 62 CUECARD". Do I have a missing or corrupted cue card data base? How do I fix it?

Thanks

Don

Don -

If the problem does not relate to Jim's suggestion, try turning off the cue cards in Preferences / General and rebooting your computer. That error was reported on the mailing list a while ago and rebooting seemed to fix it. I doubt it is a corruption, probably a hiccup somewhere in the process.

Virginia

I tried both suggestions. I did save the modified layout to a new name and it worked fine, thanks. I also went into preferences, turned off "show cue cards", saved it, rebooted my machine and I still got the same error when I started the program.

Do you always get the open database window first and then get the same cue card error message? What operating system are you using?

Run the Maintenance routines (on the File menu) in this order: Optimize - Validate File Integrity (VFI) - Optimize, until you have no error message from VFI.

Virginia

Just for the fun of it... With TMG not running, delete the Shared Program Data folder...

(See the Data File Storage help topic for more information.)

Depending on your operating system, the folder should be located at...

WinXP / Win2000

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\The Master Genealogist v7

or

WinVists/Win7

C:\ProgramData\The Master Genealogist v7

Delete the entire folder, not just the contents.

The program will recreate the folder, the next time that it is run.

I tried both suggestions. I did save the modified layout to a new name and it worked fine, thanks. I also went into preferences, turned off "show cue cards", saved it, rebooted my machine and I still got the same error when I started the program.

I am running Win 7 Enterprise and I did the optimize and then file integrity check until I got zero errors. I stop and restarted TMG7 and got the same error as before???

Just for the fun of it... With TMG not running, delete the Shared Program Data folder...

(See the Data File Storage help topic for more information.)

Depending on your operating system, the folder should be located at...

WinXP / Win2000

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\The Master Genealogist v7

or

WinVists/Win7

C:\ProgramData\The Master Genealogist v7

Delete the entire folder, not just the contents.

The program will recreate the folder, the next time that it is run.

I am using Win 7 enterprise and I did not see a folder called "shared program folder" under The Master Genealogist v7 or anything close to that.

Don

TMG data files are stored in three locations (Shared Program Data Files, User Program Data Files, and User Data Files), as explained in Help > Data File Storage. As Jim indicated, for Vista and Win7, the Shared Program Data Files folder is C:\ProgramData\The Master Genealogist v7. This folder includes Language files, buttons, etc. When TMG is closed you can safely delete this folder. The next time you run TMG it will replace the folder, giving you fresh copies of that data, including, I assume, the cue cards.

Virginia

I am using Win 7 enterprise and I did not see a folder called "shared program folder" under The Master Genealogist v7 or anything close to that.

Don

This is a hidden folder.

Open Windows Explorer > Organize > Folder and search options: Folder Options dialog box opens on the View (tab) locate the Hidden files and folders item, there is a Radio Button for Show Hidden files, folders, or drives. Activate it and click OK. You will now be able to see the hidden folder ProgramData.

Edited by ggilbert1

Don

This is a hidden folder.

Open Windows Explorer > Organize > Folder and search options: Folder Options dialog box opens on the View (tab) locate the Hidden files and folders item, there is a Radio Button for Show Hidden files, folders, or drives. Activate it and click OK. You will now be able to see the hidden folder ProgramData.

I am using Win 7 Enterprise 64 bit and I did what you said about the hidden folders. There IS NOT a folder called "shared program folder" or anything close to that.

Do you happen to know of anything else it could be?

Thanks

Did you read the Data File Storage help topic? I gave you the path above...

"C:\ProgramData\The Master Genealogist v7"

If you installed using the default settings and the program folder is named "The Master Genealogist v7", the folder above is the shared program data folder.

Don -

'Shared program data folder' is the TMG term for the folder (describing the content) - not the name of the actual Windows folder. The folder you are looking for (which contains shared program data) is C:\ProgramData\The Master Genealogist v7 - and it may be hidden as mentioned in an earlier message.

It's confusing if you are coming to it new, but explained in Help > Data File Storage. Jim suggested you delete that folder (the entire folder, not just the contents). You may have missed my message (the 4th message back) that explains what that folder contains and how deleting it may help you.

Sorry for the confusion. Let us know if deleting the folder solves the problem -

Virginia