Sign in to follow this  
kozulich

Citing newspaper clippings

I'm trying to decide the best way to incorporate newspaper clippings into TMG tags so that they will appear in reports.

I could retype the entire article into a tag, but that's a lot of work. Some of the clippings are quite lengthy.

I could scan the clipping, and attach it as an exhibit, but would it show up in the reports?

I could type the text into a citation detail, how does that display in reports?

or is there a way to incorporate the article in the source detail so that it will be included in reports?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Orest

I suggest thinking carefully about how you want these to appear in reports (or a website, if you decide to create one with Second Site). Are they important to the story? Will they be interesting to the reader? If they are large, what will they do to the layout of the report? For example, a large image starting half way down a page my create a large gap in the text if it moves to the next page.

My method it to treat them as Sources for tags that they support. Only if the text is itself of interest do I transcribe it, generally only a small part of the whole. I do that by typing it into the Memo of a tag.

If you do want to include include them in TMG reports, remember that only images and txt files will appear, and currently only if you output to Word, WordPerfect, RTF, or HTML, or for some report types, to PDF. They appear only if attached to People or, for some types of reports, to Events. So you can scan it, and if it is saved in a supported image format it can appear in the report, depending on report type and how you attach it.

do all

exhibits for a person or event appear in the narrative reports or do they have to be specified, or does only the primary exhibit appear?

I suggest thinking carefully about how you want these to appear in reports (or a website, if you decide to create one with Second Site). Are they important to the story? Will they be interesting to the reader? If they are large, what will they do to the layout of the report? For example, a large image starting half way down a page my create a large gap in the text if it moves to the next page.

My method it to treat them as Sources for tags that they support. Only if the text is itself of interest do I transcribe it, generally only a small part of the whole. I do that by typing it into the Memo of a tag.

If you do want to include include them in TMG reports, remember that only images and txt files will appear, and currently only if you output to Word, WordPerfect, RTF, or HTML, or for some report types, to PDF. They appear only if attached to People or, for some types of reports, to Events. So you can scan it, and if it is saved in a supported image format it can appear in the report, depending on report type and how you attach it.

do all exhibits for a person or event appear in the narrative reports or do they have to be specified, or does only the primary exhibit appear?
Hi Orest,

The answers to your questions is "yes" :D

There are options to do each of what you ask. For example, in the Individual Narrative report, open the Report Options and select the "Exhibits" tab. With these options you can specify only having a person's primary image, or all the person images, or whether or not to include their event exhibits, where to output the exhibits, etc.

In general TMG does not do something only one specific way. There are usually options and alternatives to get close to whatever you want. The good news is that you can do it "your" way, the bad news is you have to learn about and choose among a lot of options and choices, but the other good news is that the default is usually very useful.

Hope this gives you ideas,

yes, thanks. I haven't dealt much with narrative reports yet, and even less with exhibits, so this is useful to know.

do all exhibits for a person or event appear in the narrative reports or do they have to be specified, or does only the primary exhibit appear?
Hi Orest,

The answers to your questions is "yes" :D

There are options to do each of what you ask. For example, in the Individual Narrative report, open the Report Options and select the "Exhibits" tab. With these options you can specify only having a person's primary image, or all the person images, or whether or not to include their event exhibits, where to output the exhibits, etc.

In general TMG does not do something only one specific way. There are usually options and alternatives to get close to whatever you want. The good news is that you can do it "your" way, the bad news is you have to learn about and choose among a lot of options and choices, but the other good news is that the default is usually very useful.

Hope this gives you ideas,