ladybonita

DNA Fingerprint & Reporting

Is there anyone else out there who needs to use the DNA Fingerprint and Log?

I am working on a surname DNA Study and need to add over 500 Y-DNA fingerprints ... but after entering in about 10 (slow process) I wanted to verify the data. That is when I realized there is no way to look at the data in a report format or even Filter for individuals who I have entered in the DNA data.

I was hoping that at a minimum we would have:

1) Filter to find anyone who has a DNA Fingerprint

2) Ability to produce an Excel or Comma-Delimited file with ID and DNA Fingerprint marker values

3) Ability to sort DNA fingerprints to find individuals with marker value matches of 39/42 to 42/42 ... thus have a 'common ancestor'.

Of course, a TMG utilities request would be to upload DNA marker values much in the way we can upload Reference values by providing ID and values.

At this point I am stopping my input the the rest of the 490+ Y-DNA fingerprints until there is something useful to do with them.

As I indicated to the Wholly Genes staff, I would be happy to test any functionality they can come up with.

Bonita Hillmer

Nevada, USA

John:

Checked the SS website and these should work very well. The 'multi-Group' Grid is PERFECT and the Overlay charts are wonderful. I do have a couple questions:

My TMG structure is:

1) DNA Family Number like "W013" (all the IDs under this family have almost 100% match DNA test results)

2) ID200 "Kit"

3) Eldest Individual like "John Doe"

- each generation down to actual DNA participant (probably living)

2) ID201 "Kit"

3) Eldest individual like "James Doe"

--"DNA" Flag is set to "Y" for each patrilineal male from the DNA participant (use to accent in TMG and icon in SS)

-- "W013" Family Flag that identified everyone descended from "W013" DNA Family Number -- "P" for Paterlinal and "C" for Collateral or Non-Paterlineal individuals.

-- custom "DNA" tag added to the actual DNA participant or TMRCA. This is where I have been adding the TMG DNA test results... but most are 'living'.

-- I have "User Pages" for Indexes for each DNA Family IDs .. W001, W002, W003 ... etc., will adding DNA reports impact these? (Uses Family Flag)

Questions:

1) Since I don't upload to the website any living people, It looks like I should load the Y-DNA results to the "ID" rather than the actual DNA participant? However, if I load the DNA fingerprint at the "ID" level, it would be at the 'top' rather than at the TMRCA which looks like it would affect the Overlay Report.

-- Will I need to add a 'fake dead DNA participant (TMRCA)" at the bottom of the tree?

2) The DNA Grid -- What is the sort sequence? Is it KIT first then DNA test results or vice versa?

3) Is there just one DNA Grid report per website or can I have say a DNA Grid per DNA Family (W013) with all IDs (ID200, ID201, etc.) associated with that Family?

4) I have a mixture of older 20 marker and 42 marker reports ... will they print on same GRID or do I need to tell TMG that they are all 42 marker tests?

5) I did not find instructions on EXACTLY how to set up the DNA reports in SS -- will SS automatically pick them up when it encounters a DNA Fingerprint in TMG or do I need to set a Flag to pick them up?

6) Is there anyway to do a one-time upload of about 500 DNA fingerprints? I guess I was hoping you might have something like the way to set Reference field with a text file with TMG ID number and "value"

John ... your programs are wonderful. You always seem to be on top of what we need from the TMG features. ... Just wanted to say "THANKS"

LadyBonita

Second Site has a couple DNA-related features that use the DNA Log entries.

I put the DNA results at the 'kit/ID' level produced a DNA Overlay Report with just one generation ... no descendants.

I am not sure I was coding it correctly, I put in the TMG IDs of all the 'DNA Kits/IDs' under the DNA Family ... so I got the DNA Family on top, and just a box for each DNA Kit/ID under ... straight across. The one I had included the DNA fingerprint/results gae me a drop down box. There was a white area under the Family block but no drop down to show the DNA results for the Family (I assumed it would show all the Kit/IDs individual results in the DNA Grid.

Will continue to 'play' with SS DNA reports until I get the desired results.

Bonita

Edited by ladybonita

Bonita,

TMG Utility does not include a facility to do a batch import to the DNA log. You might contact WG support and see if they can help.

It sounds like you made some progress using the SS features. If you have any specific questions, please let me know, but please experiment first.

Yes, am working with SS and have a diect overlay by adding a fake DNA participant as the son of the youngest deceased male in the line ... but need to figure how to include non-tested male siblings.

Can not get the grid at the group level with all kits for the group ... I get a white block under group but no drop-down ... grid is showing up at fake participant only

Will let you know if I can not figure out

I contacted WG but it appears nothing is on the drawing board for DNA enhancements

Bonita

Bonita,

TMG Utility does not include a facility to do a batch import to the DNA log. You might contact WG support and see if they can help.

It sounds like you made some progress using the SS features. If you have any specific questions, please let me know, but please experiment first.

Edited by ladybonita