jeremiads

How to repair and maintain database

Hi.

I have a fairly large database I am dealing with (2+ GBs) and I am having almost daily to run the database maintenance tools or I will get various errors on the database. It will always eventually throw up error messages about being too large and then prevent things from working right until the tools are ran.

Is there any way around this? Is there an external utility to actually fix the database? Is it just too big? I know this FoxPro database type has to have some sort of limit, but I'm finding the support on this issue on the internet hard to find right now, and nothing obvious on the Wholly Genes website.

Thanks!

Hi.

I have a fairly large database I am dealing with (2+ GBs) and I am having almost daily to run the database maintenance tools or I will get various errors on the database. It will always eventually throw up error messages about being too large and then prevent things from working right until the tools are ran.

Is there any way around this? Is there an external utility to actually fix the database? Is it just too big? I know this FoxPro database type has to have some sort of limit, but I'm finding the support on this issue on the internet hard to find right now, and nothing obvious on the Wholly Genes website.

Thanks!

Is your database a TMG file? If it is, there are some repair tools built into the program.

Robert

You mention "having almost daily to run the database maintenance tools". Do you mean the built-in "Optimize" and "Validate File Integrity" tools? If so, be sure to run them as follows:

1. Optimize
  2. Validate File Integrity
  3. If any errors reported from VFI, then start again at 1. above
  4. Finally, Optimize

When you say "It will always eventually throw up error messages about being too large" could you be more specific? What are the details of your system (OS version, hardware memory size, disk size and free space, etc.)? What are the exact error messages, and what are the exact actions you are taking just before you get the messages? The more specific you can be the better.

I am sure one of us users can probably suggest something that will help, but we would need more information. Getting these messages is very unusual, and the root causes of these problems should be able to be fixed.

Hi,

I think one of the questions should be: Why is your database so large?

If it is because you have a lot of exhibits (images) stored internally to the database, you could possibly store them externally. This reduces the size of your TMG database dramatically and probably would remove most of your problems.

Remark:

you may "convert" your internal exhibits to external ones by opening the Exhibit log, showing the properties of an exhibit (right click - properties) and then click on "Save As". Do not forget to enter the correct extension (e.g. .jpg, ...). After that, run File Maintenance - Optimize.

Regards

Helmut

I think one of the questions should be: Why is your database so large?

If it is because you have a lot of exhibits (images) stored internally to the database, you could possibly store them externally. This reduces the size of your TMG database dramatically and probably would remove most of your problems.

Remark:

you may "convert" your internal exhibits to external ones by opening the Exhibit log, showing the properties of an exhibit (right click - properties) and then click on "Save As". Do not forget to enter the correct extension (e.g. .jpg, ...). After that, run File Maintenance - Optimize.

Looks to me like this hits the nail on the head. There are 10,000+ images in there, and no telling how many of those are internal exhibits. I know the images being added in later are (or should be) external.

Is there any way to have it do this automatically? Or do I really have to click every single one of these by hand? There has to be some sort of utility for this. It seems like it would be a common problem.

Thanks for the responses!

I just wanted to thank everybody in this thread. It was an adventure, but I was able to get this database down from over 2GB to less than 400MB when all was said and done.

The database was so full that I had to move about 25 exhibits by hand to external before the TMG Utility would work properly, but after that and a few rounds of the tools in the TMG database, the difference is staggering now. Thanks again!