Sign in to follow this  
pwiegand

Report Oddity

When a woman marries I enter her maiden name in the Suffix field as -(name)

I like to run a List of Events report showing census households and I have noticed that when choosing columns if I choose "Prin1 Last, first (selected)" it gives me the name as selected in the tag (in this case showing the maiden name in parenthesis). But if I choose "Prin1 first last (selected)" the maiden name does not show up.

Anyone else notice this? Is there a reason or is this a bug? I really would like to list these people as first last (selected)

Since the choice is specifying only the GivenName and Surname levels, the Suffix level shouldn't be showing when it does irrespective of which name variant the tag is using. You should need to add an adjacent column Prin1 Suffix (Selected) to get that data.

I know Prin1 Suffix (Selected) will do what I want, but that still leaves the options Prin1 Last, first (selected) and Prin1 first last (selected) behaving in different ways than expected. I would expect them to differ only in the order of the first and last names, not in which name they show and whether or not they include the suffix.

I think I missed a part out of my original message. Matilda Gray married Thomas Dent becoming Matilda Dent (Gray). In my census tag I have selected her name as Matilda Dent.

If I select Prin1 Last, first (selected) I get Dent, Matilda, (Gray)

If I select Prin1 first last (selected) I get Matilda Gray

My expectation would be that I would get Dent, Matilda or Matilda Dent

Both selections are giving unexpected results.

I think I missed a part out of my original message. Matilda Gray married Thomas Dent becoming Matilda Dent (Gray). In my census tag I have selected her name as Matilda Dent.

Since you excluded (Gray), it shouldn't be output.

If I select Prin1 Last, first (selected) I get Dent, Matilda, (Gray)

(Gray) shouldn't be inculded since Last, first doesn't include the suffix.

If I select Prin1 first last (selected) I get Matilda Gray

Does your filter include a tag that uses that?

Does your filter include a tag that uses that?

No. I can get these same results in the same report for the same event. And it behaves the same way for every married female, not just one or two.

It's odd isn't it. Are you able to replicate it?

You are not crazy, I can replicate it.

I created a special Name-Var tag for a person, with all name fields filled in. Then I created a special Event tag and selected this special name. Then I ran a List of Events with a filter for that special tag type, and output both name columns:

Prin1 Last, Given (Selected)

Prin1 Given Last (Selected)

The output for Prin1 Last, Given (Selected) was: SurnameSpecial, GivenSpecial, SuffixSpecial

The output for Prin1 Given Last (Selected) was: GivenPrimary, SurnamePrimary

This would imply that there are two problems with this report output.

"Prin1 Last, Given (Selected)" should not be showing the Suffix, but it is.

"Prin1 Given Last (Selected)" should not be showing the Primary name but the Selected name instead.

I downloaded a copy of the Beta and will test it there in hopes this might already be fixed in V8.