Sign in to follow this  
Neil

TMG and Ancestry.com

It sure would be great if TMG could sync with Ancestry.com. I tried their Family Tree Maker 2012 and their sync does work. But when I imported my TMG project into FTM, the tags and links were all messed up. FTM is no match for TMG. It does have some nice features but at the same time is missing the powerful features of TMG. I have returned it for a refund.

But right now I am keeping two trees up to date. The one on Ancestry and the one in TMG. This doubles the work and effort. Is there any way to make this easier? Maybe I'm doing things the hard way.

Neil,

I've moved this topic from the "Pre-Sales" forum to here so you can reply if you want, and because it doesn't seem like it's really a pre-sales question.

In responding to your question about an easier way, I'd first ask why you are keeping the tree on Ancestry. If the purpose is to share with family, in my view a much better solution is to create a website with Second Site from your TMG data. Second Site is much more flexible, and in my view creates much more user-friendly sites, than Ancestry's tree.

If on the other hand if it is to take advantage of Ancestry's hints, and to more easily connect with other Ancestry users, you might consider what I've been playing with - create a GEDCOM in TMG and upload that to an Ancestry tree, replacing it with a new one from time to time. Replacing the whole tree with a new one is much easier than updating each person in both places as you find new data.

This allows others to find your tree, and allows you to review the "Hints" Ancestry offers. One downside is that replacing the tree from time looses any sources or other items you attach to the Ancestry tree. I address that by attaching such things only to my TMG data, and not to my Ancestry tree.

Neil,

I've moved this topic from the "Pre-Sales" forum to here so you can reply if you want, and because it doesn't seem like it's really a pre-sales question.

In responding to your question about an easier way, I'd first ask why you are keeping the tree on Ancestry. If the purpose is to share with family, in my view a much better solution is to create a website with Second Site from your TMG data. Second Site is much more flexible, and in my view creates much more user-friendly sites, than Ancestry's tree.

If on the other hand if it is to take advantage of Ancestry's hints, and to more easily connect with other Ancestry users, you might consider what I've been playing with - create a GEDCOM in TMG and upload that to an Ancestry tree, replacing it with a new one from time to time. Replacing the whole tree with a new one is much easier than updating each person in both places as you find new data.

This allows others to find your tree, and allows you to review the "Hints" Ancestry offers. One downside is that replacing the tree from time looses any sources or other items you attach to the Ancestry tree. I address that by attaching such things only to my TMG data, and not to my Ancestry tree.

I too wish there was some way to sync between Ancestry and TMG. I use Ancestry for the "hints" just like most people with TMG. However, I don't want to just upload a Gedcom out of TMG from time to time because it will replace everything I have on Ancestry. I use Ancestry very specifically for "research". All my Ancestry lines are labeled "Research Only" so that others will not think my ancestry research is confirmed. I draw a lot of hints into my research files, and if they look close, I'll link them in (much different that with my TMG which I need proof before I will include them). The reason I link in to my Ancestry lines people who I am not convinced are correct is so I can draw more hints on those people - hopefully that will sooner or later allow me to either prove the link and move that person to my TMG, or disprove the link and remove that person from my Ancestry. Uploading a TMG gedcom from time to time, as I said, will wipe out all these "maybe" people before I have proven them one way or the other. It would be great if there was a way to move one person, or a line form Ancestry to TMG once I have proven that person or line- move along with sources which are so easy to use in Ancestry.

Hi-

Ancestry doesn't mind if you upload more than one tree. So I have one tree online that I keep there permanently. It has pictures, which can't be uploaded with a gedcom. Then I upload an additional file by gedcom every 10 days or so.

One thing I've noticed lately is that it takes more than 10 days for the upload to appear in the index for others to find, so now I actually have 3 files online. My original file with pictures, and then two versions of my much more complete file with no pictures. I keep each gedcom online for about 20 days, and upload one in the middle, that's "ripening" while file #1 is visible. Then when I upload gedcom #3, I delete gedcom #1.

If you aren't making a lot of changes or if you aren't concerned about making the info available for sharing, then of course you don't have to bother with the additional gedcom.