Sign in to follow this  
Val V

WIN7 to XP

I have two questions. I have TMG7, which I purchased as a download to upgrade my previous TMG6. I had XP on my old computer when I purchased TMG6. It worked great, I loved it. I upgraded to TMG7, works better. Then I bought a new computer with WIN7. TMG transferred over, everything seemed to work. I was happily adding data for a couple of months before I discovered the word processor doesn't work. Ack. I quickly learned this was common knowledge, which I might have avoided if I had just kept TMG on a laptop with XP. So, after waiting patiently for TMG8 for almost a year, alternately weighing and discarding the option of moving my 3000 ancestors to a new home (I'd rather shoot myself than start over with another program again), I am compromising by attempting to transfer TMG to the laptop with XP. This should be doable, right?

Question 1: Do I load the TMG6 version from the CD to the laptop first, and then load the files from TMG7 to upgrade, as I did originally? Or is the TMG7 version standalone and the TMG6 version is superfluous, or possibly an impediment? Terry Reigel posted that you can just download the 30-day trial of TMG7 and unlock it with your password/sn. I have the email from Wholly Genes with the sn. That would be way easier than messing with all that file transferring. Is that legit?

Question 2: Are there any issues with transferring my TMG family file from the one I have been updating in WIN7, back to XP?

Ok, that's more than 2 questions. I have found a lot of useful information here, thanks for the help.

Install TMG7 on your notebook. The full installer is here.

http://www.whollygenes.com/files/tmg7setup.exe

Back up your project (project files, accents, filters and exhibits only) on the desktop and restore the project on the notebook. Be sure to adjust the paths on the Preferences / Advanced tab when you change operating systems. Now you can print from the project.

You might want to manage the exhibits outside of TMG. Also, you will need to use the external exhibits feature in Validate File Integrity to update the exhibit paths if the exhibit locations differ.

Install TMG7 on your notebook. The full installer is here.

http://www.whollygenes.com/files/tmg7setup.exe

Back up your project (project files, accents, filters and exhibits only) on the desktop and restore the project on the notebook. Be sure to adjust the paths on the Preferences / Advanced tab when you change operating systems. Now you can print from the project.

You might want to manage the exhibits outside of TMG. Also, you will need to use the external exhibits feature in Validate File Integrity to update the exhibit paths if the exhibit locations differ.

That worked perfectly and was easy! Looks good so far. Thank you very much.