chornung

Descendant Box Chart - Never Married

Am creating a vcf Descendant Box Chart using the Other > Blanks for Missing Data option so we can readily see what BMD info is missing.

Works great, except I was hoping a TMG Marr Never tag would prevent the "m. __ ___ ___" line from appearing on the chart.

Suggestions?

Thanks! ~Carol

You could uncheck the box but set the minimum box height on the "Boxes" tab of the report options. The right height would depend on what data types you've established for the boxes and whether or not you've accepted word wrap..

Alternatively you could edit the offending line out by hand -- not fun.

Robert

Edited by Robert Jacobs

Thanks for the suggestions. Will experiment with min box height option. On the other hand, the more I think about it, if someone is looking THAT closely at the chart, maybe they will find some other missing data to provide. Dare to dream!!

I've always thought that a single connected blank line would be more elegant than " __ ___ ___" even though it's true that the underlines represent the length of the missing bits of data. But this is probably no time to speak to Wholly Genes about elegance.

R.

This another case where the chart options don't give the output that the user expects.

If you request a Data Line in your chart box set up that refers a Marriage Group tag, then VCF will always output the abbreviation or label in that box if a primary Mariage Group tag EXISTS for that person. That is, the existance of the tag (with no date, place, citation, etc) will cause the output.

This has been commented upon many times in the past. BobV has said that the existance of tag is information even if if has facts to support it. Ideally, The "remove blank lines" option needs to be expanded to something like an extra check box [x] "Don't show no user data lines". It is this marriage line output issue, that some users never show marriage line in VCF charts.

If you make the "Never Married" tag a custom tag in the Other tag Group, and request output in a VCF chart, then the output could be what you expect provided there is no Marriage Group tag for that person. Personally, I would not create this tag in this way. I would create a more useful "Descendant-Note" tag and then output its memo in the chart. The memo could read what you like "never married", "2 sons, 3 daughters", "(married 3 times)", etc