Does anyone know how to create a custom tag that will show whether a person in my file is a blood relative or not? I don't want to have to type it in for each of my 2000 relatives, so I would want it to be automated in some way. This would be similar to the automatic relationship tag, but I need to be able to use it to filter my project.

This is becoming more important when I share my tree for autosomal DNA tests. Just sharing pedigrees is not enough because not everyone can trace their ancestry back as far as I can, and I have descendants of many collateral ancestors that I want to share.

Just a Y/N tag would be helpful, but if there is a way to copy the results of the automatic relationship tag, that would be fine, too. If someone is related to me in multiple ways, it would be OK to record the entry as "multiple."

Thanks,

Crystal

Crystal, I would think you'd want a flag, not a tag for this. And then you could pull a report which would set the flag for all the people in your report. You would just have to design the report to not include spouses of relatives (unless there was some inter-marrying), adoptees and step-relatives, if that's what you desire.

Crystal,

If all you want is Y/N information, a Flag is generally better. It can be used to create Accents on your TMG screens to color-code so you can tell at a glance. So-called "Related-by" Flags are popular, and are defined in somewhat different ways by various users. My method is described in an article on my website. The Secondary Output of the List of People report makes it fairly easy to set the Flag for everyone in your Project.

But Flags cannot be output in most reports, so if report output beyond the Individual Detail report and List of People report is needed, you may need to use a Tag. There is no automatic way to create such Tag for everyone.