Sign in to follow this  
JoelD

Syncing TMG on two computers

I'm doing reseach in two different countries and have TMG installed on a desktop in the US and on my laptop when I travel(to France). I know that the simplest way to keep my files updated would be to use the laptop in both places. But I like my desktop (bigger screen, better keyboard); what is the best strategy to keep them in sync. Should I overwrite the database on one machine with the latest database from the other? Is there a way to do incremental updates?

Work on only one database. Back it up on the current machine and restore it on the new machine when you change machines. It's basically that simple.

You only need to back up the project files, accents and filters when you do this. If you have external exhibits, it's best to manage them outside of TMG.

Although it is fairly easy to do a backup and restore between to use TMG on two computers, is it possible to have the project(s) stored on an external drive and then just switch drives without doing the bkup & restore? If so, how does one get the data currently on an internal hard drive to the external one. Can one just create a backup file and then restore it to the external drive and TMG will create on the necessary subdirectories?