8.04 update failure

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#41 Bill Martin22

Bill Martin22
  • Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:29 PM

I was using msconfig because my Windows 7 operating syatem wouldn't open [so I couldn't get to TMG] and I hoped I could find a way to detect the problem.

As it all turned out, Virginia, after two days of work with Microsoft and Microsoft-related associates, I found that I had six registry locations that SHOULD have had something in them - but they were blank.

I've no idea why.  No programs were installed.  All I'd done was try a variety of things to get Windows to open.  One of those attempts must have wiped out these registry values.

And, according to what I read, there was no way to fill them with proper data – except to reinstall Windows 7 [my operating system].

Doing that would result in wiping out all my programs and data files.   So I dutifully backed them up on a newly-bought USB portable storage device.

I monitored the backup process for a long time and it seemed to be going OK.  But when I tried to restore it today…the storage device had none of my files in it.

That was my fault for not verifying that the files had, in fact, gotten transferred before I reinstalled Windows 7.  But it looked like it was going so well.    Wrong, Bill.

Today I’m reinstalling all my software and restoring my data from a USB thumb drive on which I’d backed up most of my data [including TMG] a few weeks ago.

A tough break.   But that’s life.

Today, I downloaded TMG8 from the WhollyGenes website and installed it.  Now, I’m about to restore my TMG data file. 

If I understand correctly, I should put that .sqz file in  C:UsersbillDocumentsThe Master Genealogist v8Backups

IS THAT CORRECT?  I don’t want to mess this up –iI’s my last gasp.

-Bill

#42 Virginia Blakelock

Virginia Blakelock
  • Moderators
  • 3,178 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:47 PM

Bill -

I am so sorry to hear of your problems.  I would hate to think of having to restore my operating system and all my programs.   Maybe this will sort out your v8 problems and you can get on with your genealogy.

The default location you have for the .sqz files is correct. 

Virginia

Win7 Professional x64

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users