OLE error code 0x80040154: class not registered 38

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mtnbluedatab

mtnbluedatab
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 06:33 PM

I have the latest TMGv8 on Windows 8.1. I don't get the above errors but I do get:

OLE error code 0x80040154: class not registered 38

FRMEXHIBIT.MSETPROPERTY

abort retry ignore

when selecting Properties for an attached file in the Exhibit Log , and cancelling the file dialog which pops up and seems to be looking for an OCX file.

I see this same error in the Mailing List back in 2006 but no answers with solutions.
I believe that this error means some dll is not present and/or registered in the local machine.
I have the latest OS and the latest TMG.

I just ran the installer again, Repair. No difference.

Edited by Jim Byram, 01 November 2013 - 07:03 AM.

#2 Jim Byram

Jim Byram
  • Moderators
  • 7,340 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:00 AM

http://www.whollygen...4260#entry57483

#3 mtnbluedatab

mtnbluedatab
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:32 AM

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the above reply.

I have done all of the above and the Report pdf print works fine. I can open up the report on screen with a pdf reader.

However, the 'Properties' problem still exists from the Exhibits Log dialog. It seems to be looking for a certain ocx file that I don't have.

I am using Windows Server 2012 R2 (which is actually Windows 8.1 but without all the baggage). So I could be missing a dll.
I was going to try installing on Win 7 and XP to get some reference points. Maybe also I should install on a pure Windows 8.

Edited by mtnbluedatab, 01 November 2013 - 08:32 AM.

#4 Jim Byram

Jim Byram
  • Moderators
  • 7,340 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:03 PM

You get the error when you click the [Properties] button in the Exhibit Log and then click [Cancel] to close the Properties screen? I'll find out what DLL is used for that?

#5 mtnbluedatab

mtnbluedatab
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:30 PM

Here is the exact sequence:

Exhibit Log is open
Right click on existing file exhibit: I have both an internal and an external (same result)
Choose Properties
Then an Explorer window opens titled: Locate msdxm.ocx, and is ready and waiting for me to find this file.
When I click cancel, I get the above error.

New info:
I did a search on my local machine for this file, and I did find this file in the sxs sources folder. It needs to be installed/registered I believe, but not sure how at this point.

#6 Jim Byram

Jim Byram
  • Moderators
  • 7,340 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:59 PM

WMPlayer.OCX.7
%SystemRoot%system32msdxm.ocx
or
comdlg32.ocx

#7 mtnbluedatab

mtnbluedatab
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:43 PM

Short answer: this led to my solution. Many thanks!

Long answer, if interested in my root cause:
> The investigation led to the realization that Windows Media Player, and its associated installed files, are dependencies for TMG.
> It turned out that I did not have WMP installed.
> Reason: I am running Windows Server 2012 R2, and it is necessary to separately install 'Desktop Services' which includes WMP. I have done this many times in the past, and had done so already so did not even think that WMP was not there. But it was not.
> I am currently debugging why WMP was not installed, but in the meantime I tried out a TMG install on a different instance of the same OS, which did have WMP installed, and the above registration problem did not occur.

>> I now see completely new behavior when accessing 'Properties' within the Exhibit Log window. Very nice.

Stan

Edited by mtnbluedatab, 01 November 2013 - 03:43 PM.

#8 Jim Byram

Jim Byram
  • Moderators
  • 7,340 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:14 PM

Yes. The Exhibit Log uses and is dependent on Windows Media Player. Glad that you resolved the issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users