many years ago when I first started to use TMG, and in my very first project, it seems my defaults for Bio tags were; Mother-Bio, Father-Bio, Dau-Bio & Son-Bio. So eveytime I added a child or parent, it would use one of these tags. Recently, I took my girlfriends data (gedcom) from her Legacy software, exported as gedcom and imported to a new project (hers) in my TMG. Now all of her Bio tags in TMG are; Child-Bio & Parent-Bio. I now have fewer Bio tags making less of a distinction of gender.

I would prefer that they were; Father, Mother, Dau & Son but, it seems almost an impossibility to change them all. Is there a preferred tag type and is there a way to change these Bio tags globally with out losing the parent-child linkages.

thx

Tracey

The variant of the relationship tag type depends on the SEX flag setting for the individual. (and is automatic)

A Child-Bio tag means that the SEX flag for the child has not been set.

A Parent-Bio tag means that the SEX flag of the parent has not been set.

So you need to go set the SEX flags for the affected individuals.

I have no idea why the SEX flags were not set properly during the import. It suggests that there is some problem with the GEDCOM.

Tracey,There are not separate tag types Child-Bio and Mother-Bio. There is only one tag type named "-Bio" which links one parent to one child. The prefix is automatically displayed by TMG to indicate the nature of that person in the relationship. If the person is set as the child in the relationship but has their SEX flag set to 'M' TMG automatically displays 'Son' as the prefix, etc.Hope this helps explain.

Jim & Michael, thank you for your expertise.

this explains why I later observed many persons without a gender. At first, it never occurred to me to examine the sex flags more closely.

I think the Legacy export to gedcom did not go well at all.

Once I get this cleaned up, I'll buy my girlfriend TMG software.

thanks again

Tracey

I just tested a Legacy8 export to a GEDCOM 5.5.1 file and there was no problem with the SEX tags. You do need to select GEDCOM 5.5.1 and not use the default Legacy setting.