Sign in to follow this  
Squirrellhunter

Renumbering in Merged Projects

I've just extracted data from one project to add to a new project. I used GEDCOM to select the data I wanted to merge to create a new project. I merged the new project into an existing one and afterwards renamed the resulting project.

When I opened the newly merged, renamed project the ID numbering was a mishmash so I opted to renumber. When I select the option to renumber, however, the only options to renumber are each of the original component projects, not the resultant merged projects. Can anyone tell me of a solution to this problem, please?

Hunter,

You imported a GEDCOM into a new Project, right? Then you merged that Project with your existing Project, right? You then had two Data Sets within your original Project, which you did not Merge, right? The two data sets are totally separate - you cannot number the people in them as if they were one Data Set.

You need to now Merge the two Data Sets. That will result in one Data Set with everyone in it, and still a second which is unchanged. You then want to delete that Data Set.

For details on doing this, and getting the right people in the right Data Set, see my article on Merging Projects and Data Sets.

Thanks Terry. Very speedy reply indeed! I followed your instructions and was getting some odd happenings but after about 90 minutes I eventually got everything to work successfully. Must admit, it's not experience I would want to undergo many times! Thanks again.