rlgleason51

Pics with frowns face

I noticed in a couple of my records that the some but not all external pics for the individuals showed the 'frowns face' in thumbnail view, but showed the actual image when I double click on it. I ran the missing link routine but nothing changed. I corrected the issue by deleting and reinserting the images, immediate problem solved.

My questions are: what caused this to occur? Is the a report I can run that will find other such occurrences?

Thanks.

Edited by rlgleason51

There probably are many reasons why a thumbnail image can be missing or the link to the image has changed. However, rather than deleting and reinserting, I would first open the Exhibit Log. Next change the Focus to "All Exhibits" and (for images) set the Type to "Image". (Not sure if setting the focus and type is required, but can't hurt.) Now RIGHT-click on any exhibit. Choose the Menu item of "Refresh all thumbnails". If the images still exist at the pathname where they were originally linked then all the thumbnails should now show after this refresh.

With the Exhibit Log focus showing "All Exhibits" of type "Image" you can also rather quickly scroll through all your images a page at a time and see if any other images are still missing a thumbnail.

Hope this gives you ideas,

Michael

Once I've finished shoveling snow, I was able to follow your instructions. Refreshing the thumbnails do not resolve the issue. I was forced into reinserting all of the relevant exhibits one by one (all are and have been external).

It was interesting that the images appeared as frown faces in the log, but when viewed in edit mode, and when on my focus screen for the individual (when flagged as primary image), the images appeared as normal.

Ah well, the sweet mysteries of life.

Thanks for your help.

Hmm... Glad you were able to resolve your issue, but as I said:

... a thumbnail image can be missing or the link to the image has changed...

Since it was not the thumbnail, it was probably the link. The other action I should have mentioned to deal with links to external exhibits was to run the maintenance routine "Validate File Integrity" and be sure to choose the option "Search for missing external exhibits". Your symptoms suggest that the external exhibits may have now been stored in a folder different than the one when they were linked. That option, with the appropriate folders specified for searching, would likely have fixed the issue in a single action.

Ahem, "shoveling snow", golly, what is that? I seem to vaguely remember that from my youth in Michigan