Sign in to follow this  
beetle3247

Copying Source List to New Project Drops Sources and Renumbers

When creating a new project I would like to use the master source list I have in my main project. When I import the sources from the main project I notice two things: 1) I am missing many of the sources, and 2) they've been renumbered. I have a question on both items: 1) why would some of the sources be dropped, and 2) why are they renumbered (I am familiar with many of the source numbers and would like to quickly bring them up from memory based on that number in the main project instead of having to search for the source #)?

3 hours ago, beetle3247 said:

When creating a new project I would like to use the master source list I have in my main project.

Maintaining sources and customizations from an existing project to a new project unfortunately is more complex than would immediately be perceived.  I have a separate chapter of my on-line book dealing just with import and export of the various parts of TMG projects and their datasets.

https://www.mjh-nm.net/IMEXPORT.HTML

When I import the sources from the main project I notice two things: 1) I am missing many of the sources, and 2) they've been renumbered.

There are many ways to do something called "import the sources".  Explaining what sources you get will depend upon understanding "exactly" what you are doing to import and what is receiving the import.  The comments in the very first section titled "Sources, Source Types and Source Elements" of that chapter include how only some of these items may wind up being imported, and discuss numbering.

https://www.mjh-nm.net/IMEXPORT.HTML#ImportSource

If you are actually using the TMG feature to "export" sources and then "import" sources this is likely to cause what you are seeing.  Sources and source types are specific to an individual dataset within a project. Only those sources and source types defined in the dataset of the current focus person will be available for export.

If you wish to create a new empty project which contains all the master sources, source types, and source elements from an existing dataset within an existing project, there is a way to do it, but it is more complicated.  I describe this in the section "Project Files with Customizations" in the subtopic "Retain Sources and Repositories".  The trick is NOT to create a new empty "Project" and then later try to import.  Instead:

• Create a new "dataset" within the project specifying what you wish to retain from the current dataset, e.g. the sources, etc.
  • Close the project within TMG and then use TMG to copy the entire project with its new empty dataset into a new named project
  • Open and delete all datasets in the new project except the new empty one, and renumber the empty dataset to ‘1’ (This is a good time to do the maintenance routines on this new project)
  • Go back to your original project and delete the added empty dataset

Now you can begin adding data to the empty dataset in the new Project.  If you have already added data which you wish in this new project to some other dataset or project you can then take the appropriate actions to merge or import that data into this empty dataset.

Hope this gives you ideas,

Michael

Wow. Thanks. You would think that importing sources from one project to another would be a straight forward action. I will give your instructions a try the next time I create a new project.

You are most welcome.

The reason it is not straight forward is that the program provides multiple ways to "import" each giving slightly different results.  So one has to pick the results desired.