Sign in to follow this  
Jim

PROJECT PD.dbf not found

Last time using my project, in attempting to close, I pressed 'yes' (by mistake) when asked if I wanted to 'backup'.

Subsequently I pressed the 'cancel' button and the project closed. Now it will not open and gives me this ERROR message: PROJECT NAME_PD.dbf not found.

Can anyone help?

The error message is saying that the NAME_PD.dbf data table is missing. Confirm that by checking the project folder.

1) If NAME_PD.dbf is present, it is likely damaged. I might be able to fix it. Otherwise...

2) Is there another  NAME_PD file with a different file type such as NAME_PD.bak or another file type (other than .FPT and .CDX)? If so, rename the file to NAME_PD.dbf and try to open your project. (WARNING. NAME_PD.FPT and NAME_PD.CDX are correct. Do NOT rename those two files.)

To be sure, the project folder isn't being directly synced with something like OneDrive or DropBox or another syncing service? That would be a good way to cause this issue.

I checked and found only 3 Name_PD files. 1 is the one in question (Name_PD.DBF) and the other 2 are the ones you mentioned not to mess with (.FPT & CDX).

I did have a backup of the PROJECT FILE done just a couple of days earlier. I made a copy of this backed up Name_PD.dbf and load it back to replace the damaged one.

It seemed to do the trick and I am back up and running.

Thanks for your help. It's really great to have someone that can give help, suggestions and support to old time TMG users.

I really appreciate you.

Jim

First... A project is a SET of 48 files. As a general rule, you NEVER move one of those files from one project to another project.

Second... A .DBF file often has a corresponding .FPT file. They are closely linked to one another. If you replaced only the .DBF file, then the .DBF file and the .FPT file no longer correspond to one another.

The question is how much data you lost and what other problems will occur by your choice to replace one file of the project set.

You found that the original Name_PD.DBF did exist and it's possible that I could have fixed it. The file probably had a damaged header.

If you don't have the original Name_PD.DBF, your only choice at this point is to revert to the backup.