Jim

Spliting 1 TMG Data Base into 2

Over the years, I've built 1 large database that includes both my family and my wife's. I have had thoughts of spliting the 2 families and wondering if there is a right way and a wrong way to accomplish this. Has anybody out there ever done this with TMG v9?  Is it even possible?

Maybe someone out there can give some advice as to how to approach this task if possible at all. Maybe you can just tell me if I'm crazy for trying...

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

Do you not have children or plan to have any? Your children will want to know both sides of their ancestry. And, depending on where you and your wife are from, you may share ancestors, generations back. I discovered my parents were 6th and 7th cousins through their lines to early New England. If that happens, you will wind up having to enter information twice with two trees.

Most responses to this question (comes up often) that I've see, discourage splitting or setting up separate trees.

- Sally Houston

Jim, I'd think very carefully about the pros and cons of splitting your database.  As Sally Houston says, most TMG users discourage splitting for a whole variety of reasons.  The most important (from my perspective) is that you don't need to.  I have a database of some 6,000 people belonging to several different family lines.  I use flags to differentiate those different families and that works very well indeed.

If you want to find out more, I'd suggest you subscribe to the TMG email list where you can look through the archives and/or ask for elaboration from the many knowledgeable people on that list (many more than I think now use this forum).  Go to https://tmg-l.groups.io/g/main

Lindsay Graham, Canberra, Australia