iamken

Journal report to MS Word

TMG v6.03

I am trying to generate a journal report and cannot open word, it says "The document name or path is not valid". The path is correct because that is where TMG wrote it. I open word by itself then try to open the file--no go. I tried it on my laptop and same thing. File is not hidden or read only.

I do not know if the following is related:

I have run VFI 12 times and each time it says "6 potential problems fixed", thats a lie because it still says that after a dozen times running VFI. Any suggestions how to fix these permently?

Thanks

Kenny --

If you posted this to the Support Forum rather than in the Cruise forum you would be more likely to get a helpful response - I just happened to see it here.

>

The error message you are getting is usually Word's rather strange way of saying the file has too many endnotes. I'd assume that you have created a Journal with lots of generations and lots of source notes, right?

If so, possible solutions are:

1. Use fewer generations.

2. Try the "combined" feature on the source notes, so that all cites for each tag are combined into only one note.

3. Use "unique" endnotes, so each note appears only once - these notes are not in Word's endnote format, so Word sees them as plain text.

4. Some users have reported better results in this case if they specify an older Word format in the "File Type" drop-down.

5. You might experiment with the Master Document feature on the Publication Tools tab of options and see if that allows you to open the file.

Kenny --

If you posted this to the Support Forum rather than in the Cruise forum you would be more likely to get a helpful response - I just happened to see it here. 

< Note: I see the moderator has moved now this to the proper forum.  :)  >

The error message you are getting is usually Word's rather strange way of saying the file has too many endnotes. I'd assume that you have created a Journal with lots of generations and lots of source notes, right?

If so, possible solutions are:

1. Use fewer generations.

2. Try the "combined" feature on the source notes, so that all cites for each tag are combined into only one note.

3. Use "unique" endnotes, so each note appears only once - these notes are not in Word's endnote format, so Word sees them as plain text.

4. Some users have reported better results in this case if they specify an older Word format in the "File Type" drop-down.

5. You might experiment with the Master Document feature on the Publication Tools tab of options and see if that allows you to open the file.

Terry

Thanks for you answer and suggestions.

I tried all your suggestions with no positive results (except fewer generations did work, but that defeats my purpose), I even went as far as "No Endnotes" and still could not open the word file.

I am able to open files much smaller, using different combinations of people, I was trying to find if it is a person that I have in there that could be giving me trouble, but that ends up to be a lifetime job and I don't think I have that much time left. :(

One thing I did do was run Path Wiz and found 2 exhibits were missing, It said they were associated with ID#0, there is no 0, I could not seem to do anything to correct it so I put a file in there for the both of them but that did nothing other than make Path Wiz happy. :)

Anyway Terry, thanks for your help, any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Kenny

Edited by iamken

With large descendant documents, use the Journal Report and make use of Word's Master Document feature with one file per generation or one file per progenitor. Options > Publication Tools. Edit at the file level and use the "Master Document" for the final indexing and printing.

Some users have then been able to open the first document and append each of the other files. I have never used this method.

With large descendant documents, use the Journal Report and make use of Word's Master Document feature with one file per generation or one file per progenitor.  Options > Publication Tools.  Edit at the file level and use the "Master Document" for the final indexing and printing.

Some users have then been able to open the first document and append each of the other files. I have never used this method.

Barbara:

I have done that, very sloppy and confusing for others to read. :(

I would like to have this journal all in one so the numbering ties everyone together.

Is there any program that will do this? :o

If not, how do these people get 400 years of ancestors & their descendants, 2 volumes of stuff. :wacko:

Thanks

Kenny

Barbara:

I have done that, very sloppy and confusing for others to read. :(

I would like to have this journal all in one so the numbering ties everyone together.

Is there any program that will do this? :o

If not, how do these people get 400 years of ancestors & their descendants, 2 volumes of stuff. :wacko:

Thanks

Kenny

I have seen comments by other TMG users that WordPerfect does a better job than Word of handling large documents like your Journal report. Corel has a trial version if you want to check it out.

Virginia

I have seen comments by other TMG users that WordPerfect does a better job than Word of handling large documents like your Journal report.  Corel has a trial version if you want to check it out.

Virginia

To follow up, vicariously as usual for I have no large databases, a www search of other panel discussions confirms the comments above on MSWord vs. WordPerfect for long documents.

That is, most book submissions to Vanity Press publishers, and others of that ilk may be made in MSWord because of its universal distribution, but in house the publishers are still likely to edit with WordPerfect. Submittal of a hard copy printout for reference and settling future disputes is also highly encouraged.

The Master Document feature of MSWord is thought by some "experts" to be unreliable at best. Of the few who seemed to "know" about editing long books, WordPerfect was thought to be preferable to MSWord.

But MSWord and Wordperfect are not the only available applications for the purpose of publishing. Actual commercial publishing in most instances is done by neither desktop program.

Back on topic, other TMG forum users are encouraged to follow Kenny's link to his own fine story of a visit to the home of his ancestors across the Atlantic.

John M.

To follow up, vicariously as usual for I have no large databases, a www search of other panel discussions confirms the comments above on MSWord vs. WordPerfect for long documents.

That is, most book submissions to Vanity Press publishers, and others of that ilk may be made in MSWord because of its universal distribution, but in house the publishers are still likely to edit with WordPerfect. Submittal of a hard copy printout for reference and settling future disputes is also highly encouraged.

The Master Document feature of MSWord is thought by some "experts" to be unreliable at best. Of the few who seemed to "know" about editing long books, WordPerfect was thought to be preferable to MSWord.

But MSWord and Wordperfect are not the only available applications for the purpose of publishing. Actual commercial publishing in most instances is done by neither desktop program.

Back on topic, other TMG forum users are encouraged to follow Kenny's link to his own fine story of a visit to the home of his ancestors across the Atlantic.

John M.

Thank you John for your complete and informative explanation, also I have been back to Russia 3 more times, and do they ever have the records, want to know how many chickens he had back in 1798 or how much oats he planted then harvested, how much money did he borrow, etc.

Thank you Virginia, I used to have WP so I may reintroduce myself to it again.

Kenny