chornung

Change page print order?

If my .vcf chart is three sheets wide by five tall, the default page order is to print over, then move down and print the next row of three sheets.

I'd like to use continuous banner paper and print all five pages down the first column, then all five in the second column, etc., thus only having to tape the three columns together, rather than each individual page.

I have printer properties set to banner paper but don't see anywhere to change order.

:wacko: How do I change page order printing from over/down to down/over? Or is there a better way to accomplish this?

Thanks! ~Carol in Detroit

This issue is a function of the options offered by the particular printer driver that you have installed provided by that printer's manufacturer (or Microsoft).

As a matter of fact, I have never seen a printer driver with a banner printing option that has the feature that you are wanting.

This is outside of the control of Wholly Genes to provide such a feature as it can only use the features provided by the printer driver.

This issue is a function of the options offered by the particular printer driver that you have installed provided by that printer's manufacturer (or Microsoft).

As a matter of fact, I have never seen a printer driver with a banner printing option that has the feature that you are wanting.

This is outside of the control of Wholly Genes to provide such a feature as it can only use the features provided by the printer driver.

I was afraid of that, but thanks for the reply, Robin. I had in mind something like what's available in MS Excel (File > Page Setup > Sheet tab: Page order down/over or over/down).

With the common use of InkJet printers and banner paper, I would think this would be a standard feature. Even good ol' Generations had a "Tile left to right" on/off option.

Maybe I'll go on record as suggesting it as a future added feature.

Thanks, again! ~Carol

What page size have you selected for the paper size and/or in the printer settings?

Try setting it for the width of your banner paper and set the length as the height of the chart (plus margins) {The height is shown in tolls > diagram > diagram measurements}. I use this method when using roll paper.

Also what printer are you using and are you using an up to date driver?

What page size have you selected for the paper size and/or in the printer settings?

Try setting it for the width of your banner paper and set the length as the height of the chart (plus margins) {The height is shown in tolls > diagram > diagram measurements}. I use this method when using roll paper.

Also what printer are you using and are you using an up to date driver?

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried a few quick things before heading off to the office, but don't think it's going to work.

I created a new chart for testing that is three sheets long and two sheets wide.

Printer is a new HP Business InkJet 1200 and drivers are totally up to date. I tried setting custom paper size in printer options to length of 33" (total height of chart) but the highest number the printer dialog box will accept is 14" (legal), even with banner paper, so guess that's out.

There is an obscure buried (that I never noticed) printer option where I can select Down, then Right but it's only available if I print more than one sheet per page. So I selected three sheets per page, but it did no good because it never saw the page to be more than 14" tall.

Played some with diagram measurements as you suggested, but it was still printing individual pages over, then across - even on banner paper.

Fortunately this does not involve a deadline (for once!) - just playing around to see if it could be done.

But, if you can do it, I should be able to also. :wacko: So it's back to the drawing board for more testing - when time permits and pesky things like making a living, housework, etc. stop getting in the way.

Will post a followup if I hit on a solution.

~Carol

Edited by chornung

Using an Desktop Inkjet Epson C82 Printer Driver (Ink long ago clogged and dried, not connected to any port) it was possible to create a "User Defined" 8 1/2" x44" Portrait paper size in TMG. Now this is the max that a little Epson desktop will put out, and it is my understanding that it will only support 32,768 pixels/720 dpi = 44 inches.

With a TMG Descendant Box Chart, the page gridlines showed in print preview as long, vertical 8 1/2 inch wide "banners", as desired.

It is my understanding that many HP desktop inkjets printers may support 8 1/2" x 55 " printable area on "User Defined" 8 1/2" x 66 inch "banner paper". This translates to 6 undivided 11" sheets of "computer paper" in the real world. The resolution supported is 32.768 pixels/600 dpi = 55 inches, although the HP driver may require 66 inches of paper, and center it accordingly.

Disclaimer: Although the Epson driver had previously been set to the above mentioned size, it was necessary for me to cycle back and forth between Control Panel and TMG and turn off a b/w Lazer printer to verify the user defined paper size.

Further discaimer: This is, as usual, a vicarious excercise. I quit buying ink when Laser printers hit $99.95.

Good luck,

John M.