Ray, trying to better define your request...

Focus groups contain people, and citations are attached to tags, not to people. The existing "Cite Globally" feature allows you to attach citations (for everyone in the data set) to names, events, and/or relationships.

Are you suggesting an enhancement to that feature, which would permit the same choices but apply them only to people in the Focus Group rather than to everyone in the data set?

That is the gist of it Terry. I have discovered a source for several entries in my dataset. I don't want to apply this citation to all of the dataset, just to a sub set. It would be nice to be able to do this other than just individually which would involve a lot of time. I hope this makes it clearer. Thanks, Ray Holt

Ray,

I'm finding myself a bit bewildered by this idea. You say you've found a source for several entries in your data set. But entries are tags, not people. How would the focus group get the citations to the right tags? I don't see how you could accurately apply the citations to the new source without comparing what you have already entered with the information in the new found source. Are the relationships, and the dates, and places for each person's birth, marriage, death, and other events, the same as what you already have entered?

It seems to me that you would have the same problem doing a global citation of the entire dataset.  What's the difference?

Ray,

I suppose the difference is that I can only see one reason to use the current Global citation - to cite a file you have received from someone and just imported. I would only see doing this before merging that imported data set with a working data set, thus everything in it comes from the received file. I can't envison how this can apply to a sub-set of the data set. :)

I have recently run across a book that has information for a subset in my dataset, but since I have one dataset instead of a lot of smaller ones because of kinship ties, the information I have found does not apply to the vast majority of the people in the dataset. I just wish I could site this new source once instead of having to do it perhaps 200 times. Ray Holt

I have recently run across a book that has information for a subset in my dataset, but since I have one dataset instead of a lot of smaller ones because of kinship ties, the information I have found does not apply to the vast majority of the people in the dataset.  I just wish I could site this new source once instead of having to do it perhaps 200 times.

OK, I can understand that. But how do you know it has the same information you have already recorded unless you go through every tag you have and compare the information there to what's in the book? If you don't verify that, I don't see the point in adding the cites - you don't know that the book actually supports what is in your data set. Or have I missed something?

This is one of my big two requests.

You should be able to add a tag (you define all the necessary info

for the tag, such as type, or date, or sources, in an entry box) to every every person,

and only those persons, in the focus group. You should be able to add a

source to a given tag of everybody in the focus group. You should

be able to delete every person (and all their relations to other people and

all their tags) in the focus group. You should be able to delete a certain tag

from all the persons in the focus group (and then later, of course, you

could re-enter the same tag identically for everybody in the focus group).

But if I've got 100 people I want to make a mass change to and those people have a varying number of tags -- say some have birth, marriage and death, while others have many tags like birth, marriage, death, 3 different occupation, 5 different census, 13 child, 3 LDS, will, probate, etc. -- how would the program know which tags to apply the mass change to? Would it apply them to ALL existing tags? I would hope not because I doubt if all the tags I mentioned are covered in any single book. I don't think the programming problem lies in making a mass change to everything, the problem lies in determining exactly what the user wants changed. About the only way that I could see it working is to have a tag selection screen for every individual in the focus group. That would be a nightmare and accomplish nothing more than what is already available by making the changes individually.

I'll admit there are times I would like to have the ability to say select 10 people and add the same source/citation for birth at once. The problem with that is the people have to be in the project, so why didn't I enter the source/citation when I had the opportunity?

Here's another example. Lets say I've found 2-3 families (each with 6 children or so) in the 1930 census. I want to add a CENSUS tag (with a citation pointing to the STATE, CITY, ENUM, PAGE, etc of the census) to all of the people found - they were all neighbors so they appear ont he same census page. Can I do that in one fell swoop, or do I have to enter 18 separate - but identical - CENSUS tags to the 18 people affected. Or how about adding a NOTE or MISC tag to the 175 people who attended last month's family reunion?

Gene

I don't have 10 or 100 people I want to make

changes to, I frequenly have 100s or thousands, and potentially

tens of thousands (I currently have only 3000 people in my project, but

a merge with another person's file containing ancestors of mine

would generate over 20,000 people.)

The problem often lies in cleaning up merged data sets. I've got

a bunch of merged people who somehow got an "occupation" tag type

with info in the memo field, that is not actually "occupartion" but

just general comments like "hated to eat cabbage".

Ideally what I would do is append this data to the end of the memo

field of the "Note" tag type ... where most such data in my file actually

is.

I've figured out how to do this with Access, but it is a royal pain.

In this particular case, however, I could do the job with

a global change to simply append the memo field of Occupation to the memo

field of Notes. But it would be better if I could use a fiilter on the action

so I would only operate on what is equivalent to a everyone in filtered Search list,

or even just selected people in such a list.

Doug McDonald

In this particular case, however, I could do the job with a global change to simply append the memo field of Occupation to the memo field of Notes. But it would be better if I could use a fiilter on the action so I would only operate on what is equivalent to a everyone in filtered Search list, or even just selected people in such a list.

If there were such a feature, how would the program know which Note tag to move the data to, since each person can have a virtually unlimited number of note tags?

If there were such a feature, how would the program know which Note tag to move the data to, since each person can have a virtually unlimited number of note tags?

Well, you would tell it of course.

In my case it would add it to the "Note" tag which is attached to

the name of the person.

I've now done it using Access on my Legacy files, before I

move them to TMG. I got Access to work on TMG files, but it

is bog slow and inconvenient.

Doug McDonald

the name of the person.

I've now done it using Access on my Legacy files, before I

move them to TMG.  I got Access to work on TMG files, but it

is bog slow and inconvenient.

Doug McDonald

But since you, or anyone else, could have dozens of "Note" tags attached to a person, which of the "Note" tags would TMG select?

It would appear that, even though you are talking about hundreds (thousands) of entries, you are going to have to edit the tag for each person in some manner. Even if the edit was to tell TMG which tag to use there would still be manual intervention.

Individually, for each person? :)

the name of the person.

Tags, Note or otherwise, cannot be attached to name tags. Are you talking about the Memo field in the Name tag? If so, before doing that, examine how Name Memo fields are output. I'd think that's unlikely to give satisfactory output.

BTW, saying you want the data added to the name tag doesn't help - which name tag? A person can have any number of name tags.