LornaHenderson

Imported gedcom problems

I may never have officially reported this, or it might be in the lost messages...

Before I upload a gedcom to WorldConnect, I run it into a dataset in an existing "rootsweb" project and run a few checks over it.

(I've given up trying to "refresh" a dataset from its source file, as, in addition to the loss of names, I also lose dates, which Jim couldn't replicate)

Invariably I now end up with the PE showing id numbers and date ranges, and no names.

These come back after VFI, but why on earth do they disappear in the first place?

Also, the PE is resolutely NOT sorted by surname, and nothing I've tried changing so far has managed to change that.

Which makes it very hard checking the data before uploading it as you can't "find" anyone in what looks like ID order.

Attached are a few screenshots to illustrate both some of my options, and the resulting lack of names, and unsorted PE

Can anyone replicate these gedcom import issues?

(happy to provide a copy of my gedcom if required)

TMG6v4GedcomImportAndSortOrderBugs.doc

Try clicking on "Filter" button and then select blank (no visible text) in left dropdown list.

Well I never John, however did you find that one?

Ostensibly it already wasn't filtered, and I"d only tried changing the order, not the filters.

So that's a workaround, but I still maintain it shouldn't happen, and it never used to, bu I'm not sure whether it's a v6 introduced "feature" or slightly earlier.

Any bright ideas for the import keeping the names without having to do a VFI?

Ta

Well I never John, however did you find that one?

Ostensibly it already wasn't filtered, and I"d only tried changing the order, not the filters.

So that's a workaround, but I still maintain it shouldn't happen, and it never used to, bu I'm not sure whether it's a v6 introduced "feature" or slightly earlier.

Any bright ideas for the import keeping the names without having to do a VFI?

Ta

Lorna-

I suspect we are both victims of the 800x600 dpi display syndrome. Peek under the Windows Taskbar at the bottom for a Clear button.

FWIW, yesterday I had just done a sort of a sample database that produced only one individual with three different "aliases". So it was pretty easy for me to tell that something was wrong. And then I read you post immediately thereafter. This morning it occurred to me that there had to be a "reset" button somewhere.

John

Can't tell much without the GEDCOM to test and I do need that. I would suggest exiting and restarting after the import.

Ta Jim.

Exit/Restart made no difference in the PE, to neither the absence of ability to sort, nor to the absence of names showing, at least not when done immediately after the import and before any optimise or vfi.

The gedcom is attached if you get curious about what is happening (it comes from TMG6.04, and has word macros run over it to find/replace text in the place fields before being imported into a separate TMG project).

The current situation, ie I give up on trying to use "refresh" and do a straight import into the project, is a slight improvement over my initial status, ie at least I do get my data eventually now, and thanks to John's 'refilter with null filter' workaround above, I can get the sort order working again.

(John's commet re 800*600 display don't apply to me, unless he was referring to something being written for that resolution and viewed in something else, as I run with 1280*1024)

6v04GedcomImportScreenAndGed.zip

With v6.04, I don't see any issues after import of your GEDCOM. I used the settings that you showed in the screenshots. The PE display and sort (by surname) is fine. (Resorting the PE is a different issue as we've discussed.)

I would suggest a clean install of v6.04.