mollerup

Wish List - Prepositions

In the Norwegian version there are three choices for prepositions before names of places when generating a report: "i" (English "in"), "på" (English "at"), and none. In Norwegian language, only one preposition is fitting in most cases. So no matter wether "i" or "på" is chosen, there will always be cases where the preposition doesn't fit. Choosing no preposition is not an option, since a preposition is needed in Norwegian language.

My suggestion is to have a new fourth choice "i/på" which writes exactly that ("i/på") when generating the text of the report. Even though not perfect, it will look a lot better than any of the three choices available today.

The optimal solution would of course be a selection for "i" or "på" when entering a name for a place in any Event screen. This choice should be remembered so it is automatically chosen if the same name is entered at a later stage.

Edited by mollerup

I use place styles for my prepositions. This might work for you as well. You have to have some way that the places are different to store three places that are basically identical. I put the place style into L10, so that I can sort on place style in the MPL, and so I can be sure I have the right place for the tag.

The optimal solution would of course be a selection for "i" or "på" when entering a name for a place in any Event screen. This choice should be remembered so it is automatically chosen if the same name is entered at a later stage.

The problem exists in English as well - that's why there is the option. :)

Various enhancements to deal with it have be suggested, but so far none has appeared. My solution is to set the report to use "in" because I find that is most often the correct one. Then, for cases where a different modifier is needed, like "at" or even "near," I modify the local sentence so that the becomes or -- the text before the [L] variable suppresses the preposition selected in the report output.

Thank you for a great tip. I now use the following sentence in my custom style:

"<på [Plass], ><på [Gård], ><i [sogn], ><i [Kommune], ><[Fylke], ><[Land]>"

My new problem is that this seems to be used only in new events I enter and not in previously entered events. Is there a way to re-do all the sentences in my database?

Thank you for a great tip. I now use the following sentence in my custom style:

You say "style" but I think you are talking about editing the Sentence in the Tag Type - right?

My new problem is that this seems to be used only in new events I enter and not in previously entered events. Is there a way to re-do all the sentences in my database?

If I am correct in understanding that you changed the sentence in the Tag Type Definition screen, it should be changed in all existing tags of that type, provided that you have not changed the sentence in the individual tags. So-called "global" changes to the tag type do not override changes you have previously made in individual tags. My article on editing sentences my help.

You remove "local" sentences by opening the tag and deleting the entire sentence. The default sentence is then applied.