melliott

Individual Narrative Report layout

How do I change the "look" of the Individual Narrative Report? I'm getting "run on" sentences. Can I have a new paragraph for each tab cited?

If you are actually getting run-on sentences, it's because of the way your tags are constructed, most likely by use of long sentences in the Memo field.

But it sounds like the problem is not run-on sentences, but rather long paragraphs with many sentences. By default, the IN report puts everything about the person on a single paragraph. You can change that by editing the Sentence Structures to add line breaks. Open the sentences screen (requires Advanced Mode), place the cursor at the beginning of the sentence, and choose "Carrage Return" from the right click menu. It will add the code [:CR:] at the spot where the cursor was. You probably want to add two of them since the IN does not use indenting.

If you literally want want a separate paragraph for each tag, you can add the CR codes to the default sentences in the tag type definition screen. But I'd not advise that - it creates very choppy narratives, worse in my opinion than excessively long paragraphs. Instead, for each person use the Preview report (button on the Reports toolbar) and decide where the breaks logically should go. Then open each tag that should start a new paragraph, and add the CR codes.

Alternatively, you can create "new paragraph" versions of each common tag type you use, and choose that version where you want a paragraph break. Or, you can create "new paragraph" Roles for you common tags, and choose those roles.

If you are interested in either of the latter ideas and need help doing it, please ask for details.