Roymenn

Backup failure

Since installing v. 6.07 upgrade, the backup wizard has failed at step 3, first telling me "File shutdown program does not exist," then it enters a loop requiring a soft reboot to exit. On another occasion the error message announced "an invalid path," that "object Goconfinish was not found," and "unknown member: ROTOOLBARMAN" again followed by the "shutdown program does not exist" message in a loop requiring a soft reboot to exit.

Since this sounds suspiciously like I've been hijacked by an alien, I've checked for viruses with ZoneAlarm (none), malware with SpyBot (none), MS Antispyware (none), AdAware SE (none). and Spyware Doctor (none).

Any ideas or suggestions???

Since installing v. 6.07 upgrade, the backup wizard has failed at step 3, first telling me "File shutdown program does not exist," then it enters a loop requiring a soft reboot to exit. On another occasion the error message announced "an invalid path," that "object Goconfinish was not found," and "unknown member: ROTOOLBARMAN" again followed by the "shutdown program does not exist" message in a loop requiring a soft reboot to exit.

Since this sounds suspiciously like I've been hijacked by an alien, I've checked for viruses with ZoneAlarm (none), malware with SpyBot (none), MS Antispyware (none), AdAware SE (none). and Spyware Doctor (none).

Any ideas or suggestions???

What is your backup medium?

Have you set the current backup path in Preferences > Current Project Options > Advanced?

Which backup are you making - All, Customizations, or Project?

If All or Customizations, do you get the same errors when using Project?

I found a google-cached forum thread from several months ago with the same problem in earlier tmg versions. One message seems to suggest that the backup path may not have been valid. You might try a backup to an existing folder on your C drive and see if that works.

http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:augnTL...&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Virginia

Edited by Virginia Blakelock

What is your backup medium?

Have you set the current backup path in Preferences > Current Project Options > Advanced?

Which backup are you making - All, Customizations, or Project?

If All or Customizations, do you get the same errors when using Project?

I found a google-cached forum thread from several months ago with the same problem in earlier tmg versions.  One message seems to suggest that the backup path may not have been valid.  You might try a backup to an existing folder on your C drive and see if that works.

http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:augnTL...&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Virginia

Virginia -- your suggestion was right on the mark! I discovered (in Preferences>Current Project Options>Advanced) that the path to the proper backup directory had been corrupted. Once corrected, it behaved beautifully!

I suppose there is something comforting about a problem that proves to have a simple answer, but it is disquieting to realize I hadn't thought of that answer

myself!

That points up the great benefit of having such a community as this one is--multiple minds grappling with similar problems. I'm grateful to you for having read my post and for providing what proved to be the answer (though I still wonder who/what ROTOOLBARMAN is/was...)

Many thanks. -- Roy

(though I still wonder who/what ROTOOLBARMAN is/was...)

Many thanks. -- Roy

My guess was that it had to do with a backup of customizations. Step 3 of the wizard includes toolbars - so maybe tmg was calling the TOOL BAR MANager?

I'm happy to hear there was a simple solution.

Virginia

Virginia -- your suggestion was right on the mark! I discovered (in Preferences>Current Project Options>Advanced) that the path to the proper backup directory had been corrupted. Once corrected, it behaved beautifully!

I had a similar thing when I upgraded to 6.04 that the backup path changed completely.

Mine went to LoadMode\ / which came up as invalid.

;)

I had a similar thing when I upgraded to 6.04 that the backup path changed completely. 

Mine went to LoadMode\ / which came up as invalid.

;)

Mine keeps on doing that too, in fact the reason I'm in here today is because it just happened again.

This time though, before I reset the path with preferences, I'm looking over the .PJC file and I see that the path has changed in there.

BackupsDirectory =LoadMode\

TimelineDirectory =H:\PROGRAM FILES\THE MASTER GENEALOGIST\TIMELINE\

GEDCOMDirectory =H:\PROGRAM FILES\THE MASTER GENEALOGIST\

REportsDirectory =H:\Documents and Settings\Ray\My Documents\TMG reports\

RepeatDirectory =H:\PROGRAM FILES\THE MASTER GENEALOGIST\

It should be pointing to my backup drive D:\

One thing I do notice with the .PJC file, there is a lot, and I mean a lot, of white space between the path to the image directory and the backup path. There must be several pages or screens of almost nothing, I say almost, because I can highlight several "empty" lines with the curser, as if to cut or copy.

Well that is wierd, I just copied nothing and pasted nothing into another copy of Notepad, and it shows up when selected, but there's nothing there. :blink:

I think I need a nap.

Can anyone explain any of this?

Ray