Pierce.Reid

Seeing role sentences from UFT

TMG 6.07 (UK): I want to edit the role sentences for tags converted from UFT events.

On the Tag Type Definition screen, under the Roles and Sentences tab, I can see the list of roles I created in UFT. However, the Sentence structure boxes are blank for all roles. I believe the sentence structure is hiding in TMG, because the Family Journal reports for this tag come out the way I expect. However, I would like to make some changes to these sentences and I don't see how I can do that.

On the Tag Type List window, which lists the available tags, I can see the sentences for the Principal and the Witness roles, but I want to change the sentences for specific roles. That does not seem possible using the Tag Type Definition window. The role sentence does not seem to appear in the Tag Type Definition window for any tag types.

Note: I am not able to convert my UFT database directly into TMG 6. I first have to import it into TMG 4.0a and then convert it from 4.0a to 6.07. This may have caused my problem, although I don't know how to tell.

Guest PhilDee

Let me see if I'm following this correctly. You've opened the Tag Type Def screen for the tag you want to adjust the sentences for. Clicked on the Roles and Sentences Tab which gives you a list of all the roles associated with that tag on the left and 2 big sentence boxes on the right.

You highlight a role on the left side and nothing appears in either of the sentence boxes. Clicking on each of the other roles also displays empty sentence boxes.

Is that an accurate summary?

What do you see if you open one of the tags from the Person View and click on the SENTENCE button on the bottom left? Do you see a sentence structure?

Phil

Wholly Genes Tech Support

TMG 6.07 (UK): I want to edit the role sentences for tags converted from UFT events.

On the Tag Type Definition screen, under the Roles and Sentences tab, I can see the list of roles I created in UFT. However, the Sentence structure boxes are blank for all roles. I believe the sentence structure is hiding in TMG, because the Family Journal reports for this tag come out the way I expect. However, I would like to make some changes to these sentences and I don't see how I can do that.

On the top of the box is a language box. If you change to another language e.g. EnglishUS or EnglishUK do the sentences appear?

On the top of the box is a language box. If you change to another language e.g. EnglishUS or EnglishUK do the sentences appear?

Yes, Jeff, when I change the Language from English (UK) to English (US), the sentences appear. It looks like although I bought and downloaded the UK version, the sentences are undefined in the "UK" language because they are assumed to be in the "US" language.

The Queen would not be amused.

I presume I can make my changes in the "US" language, but is there some way to copy all the sentences into the "UK" language? I doubt, though, that it would make any difference.

Pierce

Yes, Jeff, when I change the Language from English (UK) to English (US), the sentences appear. It looks like although I bought and downloaded the UK version, the sentences are undefined in the "UK" language because they are assumed to be in the "US" language.

I presume I can make my changes in the "US" language, but is there some way to copy all the sentences into the "UK" language? I doubt, though, that it would make any difference.

The following is a reply that Bob Velke wrote on the TMG-UK Users List (information at www.british-genealogy.com) after the release of the UK version (5.15 UK)

When I installed 5.15UK, and merged the old project with a new UK project

as detailed on the Wholly Genes website, I found that the new project had

my old Tag names (1841 Census, etc) but that all of the Roles and the

customised sentences had been deleted.

They haven't been deleted. They are still associated with the language in which you wrote them, English (US).

The UK Edition is designed to help people do many kinds of culture-sensitive customizations. But if your project is already highly customized, then it is entirely possible that some parts of the UK Edition won't be worth your trouble. You're the only one that can judge that. You can still use the UK Edition and just not use those features that would involve too much conversion work.

If you've heavily customized the English (US) language/sentences, for instance, then continue to use it. If you're committed to your own custom place style(s), then continue to use them. You'll get new UK-oriented custom tag types and source types but you don't have to use them either. If you don't like the UK timelines, then don't use them . And so on. Using the UK Edition doesn't force you to change anything about the way that you work. It just gives you more options. And it gives new users (or your own new projects) a head start.

I'm very surprised that TMG would act like this. I'll stick to my highly

customised US version for now until this has been sorted.

I'm not sure what kind of sorting out you might be hoping for. We can preserve your many customization or we can give you new ones that have been designed by other UK users. We can even do both by giving you the ability to switch between them. But I don't think you'd want us making decisions about which customizations to delete from your project.

Caroline Gurney, another user and contributor of the UK Sample project said,

This is what I am doing. And people should remember that it is really easy

to switch back and forwards between many of the features of the UK and US

versions by the simple method of going to File > Language and changing from

English (UK) to English (US) or vice versa. For example, when working on

screen I like to use English (UK) so relationships show great aunt rather

than grand aunt. When editing tags or running reports I use English (US)

because I already have so many customised sentences in the US version.

As Lee would say, Hope this helps.

The Queen would not be amused.

Pierce

Yes. I am sure you can use John Cardinal's TMGUtility to export your US sentences out and then import them in to English UK.

At work at the moment so don't have it in front of me so will double check this evening.

:taz:

Jeff,

That will work. Pierce, Just be sure to backup the UK sentences in case you have the same role in both languages and don't like what you see. YOu can edit the txt file created before you import it into TMG.

Jeff,

That will work.  Pierce, Just be sure to backup the UK sentences in case you have the same role in both languages and don't like what you see. YOu can edit the txt file created before you import it into TMG.

Yes as Theresa says (thanks Theresa) you export the US sentences to a text file using TMG Utility. You could then edit of you wish and then import back into English UK

If you find in TMG Utility that you don't have an option for EnglishUK then you can add it to the tmgutil.ini file in the Language Choices section

e.g. Language3=EnglishUK