Please consider an option to include siblings in Focus Groups. If "spouse" option is checked also include siblings' spouses.

Please consider an option to include siblings in Focus Groups.  If "spouse" option is checked  also include siblings' spouses.

Mike,

Don't we have that now by adding descendants for one generation? You do have to take care about the youngest generation if children exist that you don't want to include, and the oldest if you have cut off the common ancestor. But I find it works fine for most cases. Or am I missing something?

Mike,

Don't we have that now by adding descendants for one generation? You do have to take care about the youngest generation if children exist that you don't want to include, and the oldest if you have cut off the common ancestor. But I find it works fine for most cases. Or am I missing something?

Descendants for 1 generation only gets you descendants of the subject. It does not apply to the subjects parents, grandparents, etc.

Mike

Or the option to say IS RELATED TO by X number of generations. Then I could say I want everyone related to me by 3 generations. WOuld be faster than adding people and then their children and spouses, and then thiers etc.

Descendants for 1 generation only gets you descendants of the subject.  It does not apply to the subjects parents, grandparents, etc.

No, it gives you the descendants of everyone who is selected. So when you have gathered a person and his or her ancestors, click the "Select All" button, then add Descendants for one generation. That gives you the siblings of your "subject" and of all the ancestors except the oldest generation. If you don't want the children of your subject, de-select that person and spouse before adding the Descendants.

In the Focus Group there is no such thing as a single "subject." You may view the first person you put in the group as a "subject" but the FG doesn't care. As far as it's concerned, it's only a group of people.

The "Add Others" operations always refer to whoever is selected in the Focus Group when you click the "Add Others" button. You can select one person, everyone, or any specific group, and add others related to them in the way(s) specified in the "Add Others" box.

Or the option to say IS RELATED TO by X number of generations.  Then I could say I want everyone related to me by 3 generations. 

Teresa, I think there would be a problem agreeing on just what that means.

For example, just what does "related to" mean? Does it include spouses? Parents of spouses? Siblings of spouses? Step parents and their children? Half siblings? Etc., etc. And will others agree with your definition?

Then what does "by 3 generations" mean? Back 3? Down 3? Up 1 then down 3, or if you go up 1 do you only then go down 2? If you go up 1 (your parents), then down 1 (your siblings), then do you go up 3 for the ancestors of your siblings' spouses? And again, will others agree with your definition? :)

No, it gives you the descendants of everyone who is selected. So when you have gathered a person and his or her ancestors, click the "Select All" button, then add Descendants for one generation. That gives you the siblings of your "subject" and of all the ancestors except the oldest generation. If you don't want the children of your subject, de-select that person and spouse before adding the Descendants.

In the Focus Group there is no such thing as a single "subject." You may view the first person you put in the group as a "subject" but the FG doesn't care. As far as it's concerned, it's only a group of people.

The "Add Others" operations always refer to whoever is selected in the Focus Group when you click the "Add Others" button. You can select one person, everyone, or any specific group, and add others related to them in the way(s) specified in the "Add Others" box.

Many thanks Terry. I didn't understand that you could make multiple passes on a focus group and gradually "grow it." After 3 passes, I got almost what I wanted. The only thing missing from perfection were the siblings and their spouses of the Nth generation of ancestors.

This result could be altered by asking in pass 1 for N+1 generations of ancestors.

So I have an easy choice between a bit too much data, a bit too little data or a ludicrous 3rd choice of carefully deleting those in the N+1 generation after pass 3.

I can settle for having to pick between the 1st two alternatives above, based on the intended usage and constraints of the focus group.

Thanks again,

Mike Talbot