duff

Wish List - Autofill Placenames when I start typing, + options

Maybe this would be major undertaking...don't know, but it'd sure make data entry faster.

Take for example, Chartiers, Allegheny, PA, USA.

I wish that:

When I start typing in the City Field, C-h-a- etc., a choice appears in the City field, that refines further with each character typed, like the search funtion does, to the first alphabetic City Place in the Place Names List matching what's so far typed; and then allows me to tap Enter when/if the right place name comes up. A drop-down arrow there would also be helpful, if lower-tech.

Further, once I've Selected Chartiers, in case it's an ambiguous place name, when I move to the County (or State) (if known) I get choices of the various counties (or states) already on the Place name List, that I've associated with cities called Chartiers.

Further, that if I only know the City & State, entering both would yield the correct County (per my prior listings).

Further, that if the date of this tag was entered, the County would yield the correct county in time, for Cities that have evolved through various county changes. This would require another cool feature in Master Place List...usable dates of existence of particular counties, with the ability to use that feature to keep the above selections

honest by ruling out county choices that didn't exist at that time.

Further, some way of reliably noting the present-day name of a place that is no longer extant, or connecting those dots.

And finally, a direct link to open any place entered in any tag in google-earth .

= )

No hurry. = )

Pat

Maybe this would be major undertaking...don't know, but it'd sure make data entry faster.

I wish that:

When I start typing in the City Field, C-h-a- etc., a choice appears in the City field, that refines further with each character typed, like the search funtion does, to the first alphabetic City Place in the Place Names List matching what's so far typed; and then allows me to tap Enter when/if the right place name comes up.  A drop-down arrow there would also be helpful, if lower-tech.

Further, once I've Selected Chartiers, in case it's an ambiguous place name, when I move to the County (or State) (if known) I get  choices of the various counties (or states) already on the Place name List, that I've associated with cities called Chartiers.

Further, that if I only know the City & State, entering both would yield the correct County (per my prior listings).

Further, that if the date of this tag was entered, the County would yield the correct county in time, for Cities that have evolved through various county changes.  This would require another cool feature in Master Place List...usable dates of existence of particular counties, with the ability to use that feature to keep the above selections

Further, some way of reliably noting the present-day name of a place that is no longer extant, or connecting those dots.

And finally, a direct link to open any place entered in any tag in google-earth .

= )

No hurry.  = )

Pat

With the cursor in the City field, press F2, type Char...(however many characters to get you to the correct place in the Place list, press Enter twice and all fields will be filled in....

Also, pressing F3 will enter the last entry in a particular field and ctrl+F3 will give you a list of the last 15 entries for the field...

With the cursor in the City field, press F2, type Char...(however many characters to get you to the correct place in the Place list, press Enter twice and all fields will be filled in....

Also, pressing F3 will enter the last entry in a particular field and ctrl+F3 will give you a list of the last 15 entries for the field...

Nyahhh! What if I actually read the manual!!

Thanks pal, er Paul.

You can use F2 and F3 as Paul describes in most fields, not just place fields.

There are two special rules:

1. For places, entries made with F2 populate the level where you are when you use F2 and also all higher levels. They do not change anything you have already entered in lower levels.

2. For source citations, F3 in either the source number or Citation Detail field populates both those fields.

Master Place List - various names through time.

I am a new user to TMG (3 months), and convert from FTM.

I have an idea that would allow multiple names for the same location.

Assign each "Place Name" an id number the same way individual has their own id number.

The street address (Detail), city, county, state, zip, LatLong all remain the same.

The [Addressee] would become a variable.

e.g.

Place id #1

Louise Obici Memorial Hospital

Obici Hospital

Sentara Obici

Each {Addressee name} could have its own date range, however the LatLong is fixed location.

==============

Second Issue w/ MPL

I am very interested in using the map features built-in to TMG

Here is a URL http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=36.1842&lon=-76.4722

of Cedarwood Cemetery in Hertford, Perquimans County, North Carolina the URl is what Topozone displays with LatLong 361103N0762820W from TMG

Like Duff, I would like to be able to a map of my Master Place on Google-Earth

However, I'd like to have a single map of my entire Master Place List

There are services from

Windows Virtual Earth

http://local.live.com/?v=2&sp=aN.36.874410...%20Place%20List

and Frappr - http://www.frappr.com/

Thanks,

Michael B

I fully support this request. I have used Generations Tree File for the past 7 years and have relied on this feature extensively to save keystrokes, avoid typos, avoid spelling errors, insure consistency. I am really lost without it.

I wish that:

When I start typing in the City Field, C-h-a- etc., a choice appears in the City field, that refines further with each character typed, like the search funtion does, to the first alphabetic City Place in the Place Names List matching what's so far typed; and then allows me to tap Enter when/if the right place name comes up. A drop-down arrow there would also be helpful, if lower-tech.

Further, once I've Selected Chartiers, in case it's an ambiguous place name, when I move to the County (or State) (if known) I get choices of the various counties (or states) already on the Place name List, that I've associated with cities called Chartiers.

Further, that if the date of this tag was entered, the County would yield the correct county in time, for Cities that have evolved through various county changes. This would require another cool feature in Master Place List...usable dates of existence of particular counties, with the ability to use that feature to keep the above selections

= )

No hurry. = )

Pat

I fully support this request. I have used Generations Tree File for the past 7 years and have relied on this feature extensively to save keystrokes, avoid typos, avoid spelling errors, insure consistency. I am really lost without it.

Have you read the rest of this topic that describes the several tools TMG offers for entering values in places, and most other field, that have previously been entered? Most TMG users feel these tools are much more useful, and less error-prone, than the "autofill" method.