ebharlowe

Moving to a new computer

I am moving to a new computer. I have already installed TMG on the new computer but need to transfer my data files to the new set up.

Is exporting my data as a GEDCOM file the only way to do this? Or is there some other way?

THanks

Brooke

Do not use GEDCOM - lots of your TMG data may be lost, and what's preserved may not be in the same format as you entered it.

Use the Backup and Restore process instead. Create a backup on your old computer. Then copy it to your new computer. The easiest way is by use of a local network between the two computers, if you have one. If not, you can copy it to a floppy disk, if it fits, or burn it to a CD, then read the disk in the new computer.

Thanks, Terry. I've done that before with other programs. I had forgotten about that trick.

Best,

Brooke

Do not use GEDCOM - lots of your TMG data may be lost, and what's preserved may not be in the same format as you entered it.

Use the Backup and Restore process instead. Create a backup on your old computer. Then copy it to your new computer. The easiest way is by use of a local network between the two computers, if you have one. If not, you can copy it to a floppy disk, if it fits, or burn it to a CD, then read the disk in the new computer.

Hi All, I am in the midst of doing the same thing [moving to a new laptop from an old one]. My question is about locked data sets. Should I lock one , and then copy it again unlocked. I am not sure I understand the reasoning behind a locked DS in the first place but since I have to move, now would be the time to do it. Thanks, Terry G.

Hi All,  I am in the midst of doing the same thing [moving to a new laptop from an old one].  My question is about locked data sets.  Should I lock one , and then copy it again unlocked.  I am not sure I understand the reasoning behind a locked DS in the first place but since I have to move, now would be the time to do it.  Thanks, Terry G.

You can't relock a dataset after it's been unlocked. The idea of a Locked data set is to be able to refresh the data set from it's original source from time to time. You can't update a data set so a locked data set would primarily be for reference only during which time you can refresh it (update it) from the original source.