Shaundm

How to add a new family line

Hi

Am using TMG v6. I have set up a database called Muddock with 4 data sets. Data set 1 is the main data set that I use for all my Muddock family relations bearing my family name.

I want to add a data set or file called MOTHER, which will contain all of my mothers family relations. I don't want to direct imput into Muddock data set 1, as this will clog up my current names. I want to create another data file (or import?), where I can enter the entire line for the name MOTHER, which can then be locked and merged into Muddock data set 1, so I can then connect a line from my mother up.

What is the easiest/best way to do it?

Thanks

Hi

Am using TMG v6. I  have set up a database called Muddock with 4 data sets.  Data set 1 is the main data set that I use for all my Muddock family relations bearing my family name.

I want to add a data set or file called MOTHER, which will contain all of my mothers family relations.  I don't want to direct imput into Muddock data set 1, as this will clog up my current names.  I want to create another data file (or import?), where I can enter the entire line for the name MOTHER, which can then be locked and merged into Muddock data set 1, so I can then connect a line from my mother up.

What is the easiest/best way to do it?

Thanks

My opinion and recommendation:

Unlike eggs, it is best to keep all of your genealogy data in one basket. To me, each of my ancestors at a given generation level is as important as any other at that generation level (if you don’t consider DNA testing).

My recommendation is to keep a TMG single master dataset where you perform all additions of persons, lines and editing.

TMG Focus Groups and reports make it easy to create other datasets or reports with just those named “Smith” and/or have some other common attribute recorded in each person’s record.

It’s always much more difficult to combine datasets. You will always have the result of duplicate people and missing linkages when you combine data sets. These will have to be fixed by hand.

I learned this the hard way. My first genealogy program (1985) was limited to 32767 people in a data set. With foresight I set up 2 datasets, one for Louisiana and N. America and one for Europe, figuring there wouldn’t be that many connections. Well there weren’t, but….

Half the things I wanted to do required people from each dataset. Many people then wound up duplicated in both data sets. This was a nightmare to keep up-to-date.

I switched to TMG eight years ago since my European data set was nearing 32000. The restriction of 32767 persons per data set was now gone. I combined the data sets into one with over 40000 folks and life became much more fun. However, to my chagrin, I still find a duplicate person or missing link now and then, to be fixed by hand. Don’t get caught in my trap. I’m almost free of that trap after 8 years, (genealogy) life is fun again.

Conclusion:

A single master TMG data set is the way to go. Multiple datasets are great tools for temporary spin-off focus groups and for data researched and compiled by “other people.”

Good luck, whichever way you choose,

Mike

PS: I now have 72000 people in one dataset. It’s still easy to find the person that I want or spin off a focus group Gedcom or dataset for a relative, in-law or friend.

I want to add a data set or file called MOTHER, which will contain all of my mothers family relations.  I don't want to direct imput into Muddock data set 1, as this will clog up my current names.  I want to create another data file (or import?), where I can enter the entire line for the name MOTHER, which can then be locked and merged into Muddock data set 1, so I can then connect a line from my mother up.

I'm totally confused about what you want to do. :(

You don't want to put the data in your existing Muddock data set, but you want to then merge them? What's the difference? :unsure:

I'm with Mike - I think a single data set is almost always best. Keeping separate ones often requires duplicate entery, prevents outputing in common reports, and create serious overhead if you create custom tag types, source types, styles, etc.

If we understood more clearly what you want to accomplish, I think we could offer some specific suggestions.

Thanks for your answers.

I am pretty sure that I won't have duplicate people and will try to amplify below what I mean, which should help decide what way is best.

I have one data set for my One Name Study which is the name MUDDOCK. I have added my 2 parents and 4 granparents into my MUDDOCK dataset. The rest of the entries in the data set are ancestors and other people that I find with the name Muddock. I don't really have an interest in searching for any other branches at the moment and I am happy with how my data is functioning at present in TMG.

Now heres the bit I want to add. 1 of my grandparents has traced his FARNHAM surname back to the 1200's, which is on my mothers side. I want to add the entire tree as either a seperate dataset or something for all of the entries that he has found. Then I want to add a single link, which links my granparent in my Muddock dataset, to his FARNHAM parents in the other dataset. This single link will only be the connection between the two families.

Thanks for your assistance.

Thanks for your answers.

You're welcome. :)

Now heres the bit I want to add.  1 of my grandparents has traced his FARNHAM surname back to the 1200's, which is on my mothers side.  I want to add the entire tree as either a seperate dataset or something for all of the entries that he has found.  Then I want to add a single link, which links my granparent in my Muddock dataset, to his FARNHAM parents in the other dataset.  This single link will only be the connection between the two families.

Sorry, but a single link is one more than is allowed. :( The whole idea behind multiple data sets in a project is that they are absolutely, positively, independent. Thus you cannot link in any way people in different data sets.

That means that you could not, for example, create an ancestry report for you which would include both branches. If that doesn't matter to you, then go ahead and keep them in separate data sets. Otherwise, I would copy the new line into your existing data set.

I'm still now sure what your reservation is about doing that - if you could articulate that, perhaps we could offer a suggestion that might help.

I'm still now sure what your reservation is about doing that - if you could articulate that, perhaps we could offer a suggestion that might help.

My only reservation is that I didn't want to clog up my current data set with more people and names than I really had to, which would make if slightly more difficult when searching my current data, etc. (about 1000 people so far)

I think I may add them into the same set and use flags so that they appear in a different colour when I hit F2.

Thanks for your help. This is a very useful forum!

My only reservation is that I didn't want to clog up my current data set with more people and names than I really had to, which would make if slightly more difficult when searching my current data, etc. (about 1000 people so far)

More people do add more entires on the Picklist, etc. But unless your computer is very old and feeble, at those numbers you shouldn't have any problems with the system handling it. (I have 15,000+ in my main database.)

Should to explore custom tag types, source types, and the like, it's much easier to manage if everyone is together.

I think I may add them into the same set and use flags so that they appear in a different colour when I hit F2.

That's a very good idea - I find it helps a lot. Use the Expanded Picklist if you aren't already, as it displays Accents. Also, use flags to control the Accents as you suggest, rather than the filters like "is a descendant of..." - system response is much faster. If you have any questions on setting them up, you might look at my Accents article.

Thanks for your help.  This is a very useful forum!

You're welcome. :)