Grimesgang

Sentence Frustration

This is probably embarrassingly simple. I am doing a Descendant Indented Narrative. One of the tags is Occupation. In the memo for the tag, I put in the word "farmer". When it prints out, I seem to lose the memo, because I get:

"Henry Grimes was a ."

I haven't gotten too fancy yet, so I'm still using the default sentences. It isn't just Henry, because his son is a blank, also.

What am I missing?

This is probably embarrassingly simple. I am doing a Descendant Indented Narrative. One of the tags is Occupation. In the memo for the tag, I put in the word "farmer". When it prints out, I seem to lose the memo, because I get:

"Henry Grimes was a ."

I haven't gotten too fancy yet, so I'm still using the default sentences. It isn't just Henry, because his son is a blank, also.

What am I missing?

Your occupation tag sentence should read <[D]> he was a <[M]> <[L]>

are you putting his occupation in the memo field? (For a year I always put it in the detail field 'till I discovered the same error)

"Henry Grimes was a ."

That doesn't look like it's from the default sentence, which is:

[P] [M]

Note that there is no "a" in the default sentence, and there are no conditional brackets, so you should get "and unknown value" if there were no entry in the memo field or a surety setting problem. You didn't import this data from UFT by any chance?

I suggest you check the sentence and make sure it includes the [M] variable.

That doesn't look like it's from the default sentence, which is:

[P] <was|and [PO] were> [M] <[D]> <[L]>

Note that there is no "a" in the default sentence, and there are no conditional brackets, so you should get "and unknown value" if there were no entry in the memo field or a surety setting problem. You didn't import this data from UFT by any chance?

I suggest you check the sentence and make sure it includes the [M] variable.

*Ahem*

I was just going to reply saying that I had [M} in the sentence, and then I took a fresh look at the sentence I have:

[P] <was|and [PO] were>< a|[M]> < in [L]>

Now I realize my problem. the second singular/plural selection doesn't have [M] on both sides of the statement. I KNEW it was something easy.

BTW, I've never used UFT.

... then I took a fresh look at the sentence I have:

[P]

Now I realize my problem. the second singular/plural selection doesn't have [M] on both sides of the statement.

That would be the problem. :)

BTW, I've never used UFT.

Since you said you were using the default sentences, I thought they might have been imported, and I think that only happens from UFT projects. Looks like "somebody" had worked on this sentence. :unsure: