ttbutz

Prepositions in reports

When printing a descendant narrative report, it will say something like "She was teaches 7th grade ..." ... How can I alter the report definititions so that the sentence reads properly?

When printing a descendant narrative report, it will say something like "She was teaches 7th grade ..." ... How can I alter the report definititions so that the sentence reads properly?

You need to take a look at the sentence template for the tag that is producing that sentence and figure out what is wrong. If you want post the sentence template here and include what you have entered in the various fields of the tag and we can help....

For occupation this is what the sentence structure reads:

[P] <was|and [PO] were> [M] <[D]> <[L]>

When it prints it reads "She was Teaches 6th and 7th grade English.

I don't understand the [] brackets or the <> brackets or what the P, PO, M, D, and L means.

I didn't get a book with the CD. Thanks for your help.

I don't understand the [] brackets or the <> brackets or what the P, PO, M, D, and L means. 

I didn't get a book with the CD.  Thanks for your help.

You should have on your CD a file tmg6ug.pdf which is the Users guide and can be printed. You can also download the User Guide from TMG's home page, http://www.whollygenes.com/index.htm Also the online Help within TMG is very helpful. There are other online sites by users that can be of help to you, http://tmg.reigelridge.com/ and http://www.tmgtips.com/ being two of them. Another good source is the book that was written by users "Getting the Most Out of The Master Genealogist" also available on the TMG home page.

The P, PO, M, D, and L are some of variables used to construct the sentence that will print in narrative reports. All variables are enclosed in []s. The <> around a variable makes the variable conditional, in other words it won't print if there is nothing in that variable field.

P stands for the Principal in the tag, PO stands for the second Principal in the tag if used. M = the memo field, D = the date field, L = the place of location fields.

The template you shows prints "She" for the [P] (this is because her full name appeared in a previous sentence in this paragraph, the "was" is from the template, the "teaches 6th and 7th grade English" is data you entered in the Memo field. You could change that data in the memo field to "a teacher of 6th and 7th grade English" and the sentence would then read "She was a teacher of 6th and 7th grade English" If she is still teaching you may want that to read "She is a teacher of 6th and 7th grade English" and you can do that by modifying the Sentence template in the tag. You have to be in the Advance Editing mode to be able to modify the sentence templates.

When you are entering data in Memo fields that will print in the sentence template you need to consider the sentence template in constructing how that data should read.

Hope this has helped some...

I didn't get a book with the CD.  Thanks for your help.

Looks like you have:

Teaches 6th and 7th grade English

as the content of your memo. Try changing the Memo content to:

a teacher of 6th and 7th grade English.

In the absence of a book, try Terry Reigel's TMG Tips website - it is superb and very helpful :D

http://tmg.reigelridge.com/

or look up sentences in the TMG program help files.

Les Wylde