Hi,

As a newbie, I’m trying to get started by reading a section of the books, then making changes to my project to see if I really understand. Then I compare it to the sample sentence in the books or in the sample project. After reading about tags and sources, I make changes to duplicate the sample project to see if I get the same results. I don’t. For John Alexander (10), the sample uses a census sentence of:

[:CR:][:CR:][P]<, [A],> <|and [PO]> appeared on the census <of [D]> <[L]>

and gets the sentence:

He appeared on the census of 9 Sep 1850 in Carter County at age 37. He appeared on the census of 1860 in Elizabethton, Carter County at age 47.

Now the [A] is the age, but where does TMG get the number from?

User is online!Profile CardPM

Thanks,

Rich

Welcome, Rich.

First, that sentence doesn't produce that output. :(

The actual sentence is:

[P] appeared on the census at age [A]

The age, as you surmise, comes from the [A] variable. The age variables compute the age based on the date in primary birth group tag and the date in the current tag. John's primary birth tag is dated 11 Oct 1812, and the census tag 9 Sep 1850, thus the age of 37.

Note that the age produced is unrelated to what the census may have said about his age, although in this case it is the same.

Welcome, Rich.

First, that sentence doesn't produce that output.  :(

The actual sentence is:

[P] <|and [PO]> appeared on the census <of [D]> <[LCN]> at age [A]

The age, as you surmise, comes from the [A] variable. The age variables compute the age based on the date in primary birth group tag and the date in the current tag. John's primary birth tag is dated 11 Oct 1812, and the census tag 9 Sep 1850, thus the age of 37.

Note that the age produced is unrelated to what the census may have said about his age, although in this case it is the same.

Thanks Terry.

Ok - I have a date in the BIRTH tag. I have dates in 3 different census's. I don't have an age on the report. Any idea on what I'm doing wrong?

Rich

Ok - I have a date in the BIRTH tag.  I have dates in 3 different census's.  I don't have an age on the report.  Any idea on what I'm doing wrong?

How are the dates entered? That is, are both entered with day, month, and year? The [A] variable only produces an age if there is enough information to calculate it accurately.

My dates are: Birt Tag; 01 may 1869; 1900 Census Tag - 09 jun 1900; 1920 Census Tag - 07 jan 1920. So they look good, I'd think. Do I need to add an AGE button in the census source citation or any where else?

My dates are: Birt Tag; 01 may 1869; 1900 Census Tag - 09 jun 1900; 1920 Census Tag - 07 jan 1920. So they look good, I'd think.  Do I need to add an AGE button in the census source citation or any where else?

Yes, the dates look good - I don't think they are the issue.

You don't need an "age button" but you do need the age variable in the sentence, like the one in the Sample project. It is not included in the standard sentence for the Census tag. If you want to include it you would need to modify either the specific census tags where it should appear, or the sentence in the Census tag type, which would then apply to all census tags.

I'll repeat my caution that the age produced this way is the one computed based on your primary birth tag, not the age recorded in the census. So be clear on your objective in including it. Most users, if they include the age at all, want the age recorded in the census. The age variable can't give you that.

I used the sentence in your example and the one in the sample project on the 2 indivual Census Tag Source sentences for one individual. I believe that this is a "Local Sentence Structure" change and should only affect this persons report. Right now I'm not interested on the validity of the dates, just trying changes as I come to it in my books. Afterwards I'll put the sentence back until I'm ready. Right now I just read, change, check result, put back, and start all over. I will have to learn to type though.

I used the sentence in your example and the one in the sample project on the 2 indivual Census Tag Source sentences for one individual.

And it works as you expect now?

I believe that this is a "Local Sentence Structure" change and should only affect this persons report.

Yes, exactly.

Right now I'm not interested on the validity of the dates, just trying changes as I come to it in my books.  Afterwards I'll put the sentence back until I'm ready. Right now I just read, change, check result, put back, and start all over. I will have to learn to type though.

I would suggest you do a small DATASET in a separate PROJECT using 50+ people in your line. Then you can experiment to your heart's content with people and data you are familiar with without worrying about how to get things back to the way they were.

Jan

OK

Will make a subset - probley my dad's family and "play" with that.

Rich