csimpkinson

Source differences from UFT

In UFT you may create a source (i.e. 1850 Census - Polk county, Iowa) and then attach that source to many events providing details (ED, Page, Line, etc.) for each of the events you to which you attach it.

This does not appear to be the case in TMG. It appears that each source is usable for only the one event as the detail information is in the definition of the source.

Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

Charles

(This is not an official Wholly Genes response.)

In UFT you may create a source (i.e. 1850 Census - Polk county, Iowa) and then attach that source to many events providing details (ED, Page, Line, etc.) for each of the events you to which you attach it.

There is no difference with TMG. Each source in the Master Source List can be linked by citations to as many name, relationship and event tags as you wish.

You may be thrown off by the Mills templates with the details in the source. I do very much what you describe with custom census source types. The census source is per year - 1850 U.S. Census (Free Schedule) - for example. They could be by year and county as your example. The details are in the citation detail. Here's my 'template' for creating the citation detail entry for US census entries - ST, Co, Tn, p. n, ED n Sh n Ln n (Nat. Arch. Film #).

People using TMG record census sources many, many different ways depending on what suits them. The UFT MIlls census templates are very similar to the TMG Mills census templates.

Sources in TMG are specific to the data set, not external to the databases in a master library as with UFT.